Sink drain has its own vent?

myla296

I've got a 2010 Road Warrior where I'm redoing my bathroom with the intention of removing the sink but keeping the drain as my new shower drain (or just cap it and keep the old one). I've now noticed that the drain seems to have a vent on it under the sink, I thought that would have been located away, and led up to the roof. Thoughts? Will I need to create a new place for a vent if I utilize this or if I cap it? Thanks in advance! (The picture might be sideways, I'm on my phone creating this post) IMG_6573.jpg

danemayer

Looks to be a Studor Air Admittance Valve for the sink drain. The shower drain should have a vent to the roof.

If you get rid of the sink, and cap the drain line, it shouldn't be a problem.

myla296

Looks to be a Studor Air Admittance Valve for the sink drain. The shower drain should have a vent to the roof.

If you get rid of the sink, and cap the drain line, it shouldn't be a problem.

thanks! And should I use this drain for the shower, I'll need to shorten the pipe below the flooring and retain this vent?

myla296

I'd try to go with the vent to the roof.

I found that pipe, it is behind the toilet on the other side away from where I want to move the sink. So, I'll likely cut the pipe, turn it toward where I want the new sink and go from there (using the vent system it has now). Thanks for the help!