Skinned Lammykins

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is a modification still in progress. I posted photos a while ago showing the two side windows at the rear after removing the lambroquins and mentioned that we were going to replace the day/night shades with verticals. The headrails for the blinds are waiting for us at the CG for when we return next weekend. But, here at home, I've skinned the lammykins to salvage some fabric, as well as skinned the top valances for the material. Just thought you might be interested in how they're constructed.

The new valance is actually only about 1 1/2" deeper to accommodate the swing of the vertical blinds. But the face fabric is not enough to fully cover the sides, so I skinned two lammykins to make an accent panel and cover the interiors. Also reused the foam insert behind the front face fabric. The accent panel in the front is the original, just relocated.

I had to remake the valances since the OEM's have a thin curved top that was only secured to the cabinet above by a single screw. The new ones have a flat 3/4" plywood top panel and the face/sides are 1/2" plywood. The thicker top is needed to secure the mountings for the headrails. There is some framing in the cabinet that I can secure the valance to with more than just one screw.

The construction and materials of the OEM valance and lammykins is basically chipboard and cardboard, stapled together. The last photo shows how well Ailene's Fabric Glue works to repair a lammykin that has had its stapled sections separated by a light contact with a recliner. I had to cut them apart with a knife.

View attachment 19874View attachment 19875View attachment 19876View attachment 19877View attachment 19878View attachment 19879View attachment 19880View attachment 19881