slide-out fascias - thinking of painting them.

twohappycampers

What is the material used to make up the inside slide-out fascia trims? I'm thinking of painting them. They don't match anything else (dark brown kind of molded kind of, I don't know, Roman/Greek looking?) What are they made of? I'm sure they're paintable, pretty much everything is these days with all the specialty paints. The kitchen cupboards are mocha so it's not as though they'd be the only painted thing in here. I could paint them to try to blend into the walls, or some crazy bright colour for fun because they're never going to look like they fit in anyway What does anyone think? Has anyone painted theirs? I don't want to replace them. Thanks for any ideas. Cheers, Lorna

GOTTOYS

They are made out of foam. I'm sure they can be painted with a water base paint, but they might be damaged (dissolve) if a oil base is used. Mine are dark colored and look fine in my opinion. You could also replace them with wood finished any way you want it. Can't imagine painting them some bright color. To me that would look awful, but to each his own...Don

rxbristol

Difference between men and women...my wife also wants to paint some wood work. We have the paint...time to get busy.

twohappycampers

And that's not the only difference ... hee hee Anyway, I do normally love wood myself, but this dark very formal/traditional style just doesn't go (in my opinion) with the country feel (white wood blinds, mocha cabinets, cherry wood) There's a slide right next to the kitchen slide (in the hallway leading into the bedroom and bathroom where the fascia board is the cherry). Looks odd. Why they mixed up the style of fascia is strange to me. Guess it's what they had on hand. Continuity would have been nice. I've stared at it for 4 years, time to do something. Think I'm on my own with this one though, my husband will think I'm nuts. Certainly won't bring it up until he's laid the new carpet tiles. - Lorna

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Don. Good to know - foam - water based paint not oil based. Yeah, my hubby will think I'm crazy too, but if I'm willing to do the work he won't squawk too loud or long. I have navy colour in my curtains and blues in my new carpet, so yeah a crazy bright colour would probably look weird, but I'm now thinking a navy blue maybe. Thinking out loud, shouldn't be taking up the forum's time. Thanks - Lorna

jimtoo

And xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxcxxxx xxxxxx I've stared at it for 4 years, time to do something. Think I'm on my own with this one though, my husband will think I'm nuts. Certainly won't bring it up until he's laid the new carpet tiles. - Lorna

- - - Updated - - -
Maybe you should paint first....THEN maybe Hubby could cover up all the paint drops, over brushing, spills for you! :) :) :eek: I mean,,, how could you blame fresh paint on the new carpet tiles on him??? :eek:

posted by an unknown :cool:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You're not crazy to want to make it your own! Post some pics, you might get some more ideas from the "gals" that frequent the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twohappycampers

another thought on painting slide-out fascia

I know, I know ... I have a bee in my bonnet!! But can the fascia trim be removed without damaging it? Then I could take them outside and paint them. But like I said, I won't even mention the idea to poor long-suffering Hubby until this doggone job of laying the carpet tiles is done and long behind us. - Lorna

ChangingPlaces

I have actually used oil based polyurethane on our slldeout surround with no worries at all, a repair I did when a chunk was taken out of it. If you really want to paint it, I would recommend to sand down with sandpaper or wire wool the surface so the paint adheres to it. Put a coat of smooth surface sealer on it and then coat with semi gloss enamel of your colour choice, rather than acrylic as this may chip off in time. I have used this process many times in my painting career. Good luck.