Slide Seal Lubrication

ncc1701e

What is appropriate to use on the rubber seals around the slides? How often should this be done?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
They make commercial products (Protect-All) especially for slides. I personally use 303 on all rubber products on all my vehicles. Not sure if it is coincidence or not but on both of my RV's it seems if I lubricate them to often, the seal adhesive gives way and I have to reglue them. Unless you are full-timing I would think lubricating them once a season should be good.

Best Wishes!

danemayer

I'm not sure if I can trust my memory completely, but at the Goshen Rally, I think the factory rep for slide seals said that no chemical treatment is required or recommended. He may have recommended occasional cleaning with water to get rid of any accumulated dirt or grit. Maybe someone else who was at that seminar might chime in.

hoefler

I had heard that lubricating the seals will not let them flip when the slide goes in or comes out. You need resistance on the seal and slide for the seal to flip into its proper orientation to seal properly.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I had heard that lubricating the seals will not let them flip when the slide goes in or comes out. You need resistance on the seal and slide for the seal to flip into its proper orientation to seal properly.
I've read in several places on the forum, that the factory rep. guys for slide seals say not to put anything on the seals for the same reason you mention.

MC9

People that are used to smearing crap on their seals will not be swayed by facts. The rep (owner) of the slide seal co. (they make everyones, I think) said their seals are formulated to perform a job and need no help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The seal manufacturer was adamant at the rally to NOT put anything on the seals. Occasionally a wash with soap and water, but no lubricants.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The seal manufacturer was adamant at the rally to NOT put anything on the seals. Occasionally a wash with soap and water, but no lubricants.

This is good to know as I have never heard this before. Makes sense...as I mentioned above, I have seen some adverse affects of using a lubricant. Now I won't worry about it anymore and simply keep them clean!

ihsolutions

Yes, at the Goshen rally, the guy who sounded (and to a lesser extent, looked) just like Christopher Walken did say, emphatically, many times that it was not necessary to put anything on their rubber slide seal products. I personally use 303. His concern was not so much the slide seal flipping as it was that many people apply a product which will degrade or break down the material itself. 303 will not do that. Anything that makes it tacky or gooey is eating away at the material.