Slide topper observation

NYSUPstater

Looking at a couple various RV dealers website and the Landmark, Big Horn and Big Country lines, one thing caught my eye. None had slide toppers! The LM line did have the 2nd awning option, but I really thought here they would have slide toppers and didn't. What would be the rational behind not having them? I know there are those that like them and those that don't.

Likewise, Another thing that I noticed was the use of cables to operate the BR slide. Never in my wildest dreams did I think "upper end" RV's would have this system. Can folks explain why?

danemayer

Looking at the Heartland website, the Landmark 365 list of options includes what they're calling slide out awning packages for 3, 4, or 5 slide outs. This appears to be slide toppers as it's in addition to the standard 2 power awnings.

But offering the option doesn't mean that a dealer will order it that way. You may have to "build your own" rig to get them factory installed.

Our 2011 Landmark has all hydraulic slides, including the bedroom. The downside for us is that there's almost no storage under the bed because of the hydraulic mechanism. The electric slide mechanisms don't create this limitation. I would think that the hydraulic mechanism is probably quite a bit more costly and for relatively small bedroom slides, it's probably overkill. So it's not surprising to me to see electric bedroom slides. I think the switch to electric happened some years ago.

The two electric motor varieties seem to be Lippert Schwintek rack type, and Norco cable driven. Based on posts here, I'm not sure it would be easy to say whether one is better than the other.

avvidclif

I have had the rack and pinion electric type and now have the cable system. I much prefer it over the others. Hydraulic seems overkill and expensive. Plus more things to break. After the Schwintek fiasco several years ago I wouldn't touch one. Just my 2 cents.

pegmikef

Likewise, Another thing that I noticed was the use of cables to operate the BR slide. Never in my wildest dreams did I think "upper end" RV's would have this system. Can folks explain why?

I can tell you one thing. IMHO, the cable operated slides are a lot more dependable than the other alternative (shwintek electric). I have had to have the motors and controller for one of mine replaced and then another motor. The slides are underpowered. The repair folks I have dealt with do not like them and said they must keep the motors in stock. On my 2014 Big horn the only thing I had to do was monitor the cable slack and periodically tighten it up. I had 44,000 miles on it and never even had a hiccup with the slide. I sure wish I had that type of slide now! I have heard that Heartland at one time tried a hydraulic bedroom slide, but everybody complained about the room taken up for the rails and other parts of the mechanism.

bigdob24

Just curious about the “Schwintek Fiasco”
Any links with more info on this or is this a personal experience?
BT

I have had the rack and pinion electric type and now have the cable system. I much prefer it over the others. Hydraulic seems overkill and expensive. Plus more things to break. After the Schwintek fiasco several years ago I wouldn't touch one. Just my 2 cents.

esscobra

same answer I will always give -- go to a show/dealership on sunny day - feel temps in slide on unit with and w/o toppers and you will have the answer - would not have another unit without them - when its 100+ in south texas it makes a world of difference

CDN

B and B
Hello,

A couple coments

My Landmark Louisville came with armored awnings. Both main and second awning on the living slide. I have 4 toppers on my Landmark, 2 on the main slides and 2 on the slide in slide on the bedroom. We will never be without toppers again, we did not have them on the Bighorn.

We have Schwintek on slide in slide in the Louisville Bed Room. I am not fearing this installation.

Fiasco, not really, poor engineering yes!
I owned a 2012 2703SS Rockwood 32 ft travel trailer with the super slide have Schwintek slide motor system. Day 1, first trip it failed. This was June, prime season. My dealer rebuilt the slide adding stainless on top of the wood in the slide box for the tracks to attach too, added additional rollers and Forest River replaced all components in the Schwintek System. Yo-mans service pulling out all stops to have this back to us in 2 weeks. This worked fine for one season and we traded the trailer the following year after loosing confidence in it.

Schwintek works just fine on small bedroom or couch slides. Never should be used on a 21 ft slide with Fridge, stove, couch, pantry on it. Wrong application on large slides. Lots of Motorhomes use them as well.

Brian

Last edited:

Bones

I have 5 slides and all are hydraulic rack and pinion. The bedroom is the only one with just the ram.