Slide toppers for a Landmark 365

TxCowboy

Gang, want to get slide toppers for a Landmark 365 Key West. I can get them installed locally by a good mobile tech.

Also, the two large awnings that came with the LM 365 are black. I'd probably go with the white slide toppers just to reflect some of the Texas heat. Maybe I should also go with replacing the two power awning with white as well.

Who's a good source? I'm wondering if Camping World is the only game in town for these things.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Whoever or however you get to do it, make sure they do it right. The biggest complaint is they are noisy. Why? Because they're put on so they end up sagging badly when the slide is extended. I've had them from Day 1, been in some fairly stiff breezes (yes, we get them in northern Michigan) and they don't make noise because they are taunt when extended. If you get them installed, check them before you accept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

JohnDar, that sounds like good advice. Since they are relatively flat when installed, I assumed that they should be tight so that the rain runs off and doesn't pool on top of the awning.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes. Although the longer the slide, the greater the tendency to be a bit slack. Our main slide is not as tight as I would like it, but I made a PVC pipe support to correct that. There was a new Class A on display at a recent event I participated in (set up our HazMat tractor/trailer) with a large slide almost the length of the ODS. Looked like a hammock, it was so loose. And it had one of those roller support gizmos in the center of it.

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bought my LM 365 off the lot, and had the toppers dealer installed. They did an OK job, However they had a special order unit for a customer that had the factory installed toppers and I think they looked a lot nicer. They were smaller and closer to the sides. If I was ordering one today from factory I would X almost all of the option boxes. Even the heated floors. It on the website options list but apparently just a teaser.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We added toppers to our Key West that we bought off the lot. The dealer tried to go the cheaper route but I wouldn't allow it. Make sure to order the same ones used by the factory. They self adjust for stretching to some extent. Doesn't stop all of the sagging, but does help. We stuck with the black so everything matches.

Kristy

danemayer

You want toppers installed so they're taut, but not too tight. If they're too tight, they'll interfere with operation of the slide. The ram pushes from the bottom of the slide. The topper pulls at the top. When wound up too tight, the spring tension can tilt the slide as it begins to go out; sometimes severely.

TxCowboy

If I'm ordering the slide toppers from the factory, it sounds like a good time to join the owner's group so I can get the 10 percent discount. Or will my free one-year membership also give me this discount?

:)

Kenneths

Jeff, I may be wrong but I was under the impression that a dark color was better than a light color for helping keep the heat out.

I know I had an easy up with a white canvas and a blue canvas, the blue one was much cooler than the white one to be under.

I also have the factory black toppers on my Newport.

TxCowboy

Kenneths, I was recalling something I read shortly after Andy Wesdorp took over the Landmark line at the factory. Thought I read that changing the awning color from black to white (or light color) was something on his agenda based upon feedback from the owners. Black does absorb heat while white (or light colors) reflect heat.

Being in South Texas, reflecting heat is definitely something that I believe is a good idea. :)

Kenneths

I agree Jeff, it is hot and humid here in South Louisiana. Also remember trying to keep white canvas looking good is going to be a chore.

scottyb

I think the biggest consideration is what look do you want. White is going to stand out and contrast. Black is going to be more obscure. The key is the air gap between the topper and the slide will prevent any significant heat transfer.