Slideout supports

Deedee

I live full time in my fifth wheel, I was told that I shoud have stabilizers on my large slideout, because the ground it sits on is sinking. It will help support it I was told. Then someone else said no you will damage your slideout. I need suggestions as to what I should do here.
Thanks in adavance
Dawo

centerline

I live full time in my fifth wheel, I was told that I shoud have stabilizers on my large slideout, because the ground it sits on is sinking. It will help support it I was told. Then someone else said no you will damage your slideout. I need suggestions as to what I should do here.
Thanks in adavance
Dawo

if the ground is unstable and sinking, I would suggest you move the rv.... short of moving the entire rv to another site, pull it out and use some 2x8 or 2x10 lumber long enough to span the tires on both sides of the trailer, so that each side has a single piece of lumber to support all the wheels on that side all at once....
if thats not an option and you are set up full time without any plans to move, then I would suggest you get a bottle jack (8-10ton) and jack up under the frame until its level again, and then you can get some additional blocks under the frame in about 4 spots down each frame rail, with at least an 18" square ground base for the blocking to set on (a larger base, = better)... this will give the best support....

these are the only options you have to choose from....

I agree that blocking under the slide itself will cause damage as the trailer continues to settle and the slide isnt able to settle with it...

blocking under the slide to minimize any vibrations or shaking, is acceptable practice if the trailer is on solid ground that wont allow the trailer to settle into it...

TrailCreek

if the ground is unstable and sinking, I would suggest you move the rv.... short of moving the entire rv to another site, pull it out and use some 2x8 or 2x10 lumber long enough to span the tires on both sides of the trailer, so that each side has a single piece of lumber to support all the wheels on that side all at once....
if thats not an option and you are set up full time without any plans to move, then I would suggest you get a bottle jack (8-10ton) and jack up under the frame until its level again, and then you can get some additional blocks under the frame in about 4 spots down each frame rail, with at least an 18" square ground base for the blocking to set on (a larger base, = better)... this will give the best support....

these are the only options you have to choose from....

I agree that blocking under the slide itself will cause damage as the trailer continues to settle and the slide isnt able to settle with it...

blocking under the slide to minimize any vibrations or shaking, is acceptable practice if the trailer is on solid ground that wont allow the trailer to settle into it...
30 years' experience and I couldn't have said it better. Only one slight difference, I would never ground support any slide. If the RV shakes too much, block it along the frame like a mobile home. If it's only the slide, something needs fixing.

The alignment of the slide can be put off track if anything settles, especially if the RV frame is supported by a leveling system or worse, tires. If the slide ends up higher, it can jump the slide track when you let it down. I've had friends who forgot to remove the slide support and dropped the level up system and racked the slide so bad the slide wall separated.

Montana Mac

danemayer

Thanks in adavance
Dawo

If the ground is soft, you need to spread the trailer weight by using boards or other supports under tires and/or leveling jacks. The solution is a larger footprint on the ground. The slides can move vertically, so trying to support the trailer weight by supporting the slides is more likely to raise the slides than to keep the trailer from settling. And raising the slides more than a little could cause problems.