Slideout wooden framing dimensions

JimHamlin

I have a 2008 Bighorn 5th wheel and have discovered some dry rot happening under my passenger-side 12ft slide out. I plan to do a repair myself, since the problem isn't severe - I think I caught it soon enough so that the whole floor won't need to be replaced. My question is about the dimension of the wooden framing making up the sidewalls, particularly the "base plate" if that's the right terminology. That would be at the base of the sidewalls where the flooring is bolted/screwed into it. For example, is this wooden member a 1 X 2, 1 X 3, or 3/4 X 1 and 1/2?? This will determine exactly how I approach a permanent repair.

As a side note, none of my slide floors have any type of protective coating or wrapping around the edges of the floor where water damage would most likely occur, just a 1" metal strip with caulking, covering untreated plywood. In the park where I am, I've noticed most RV with slides have some sort of protective covering that completely wraps the ends of the floor where it meets the sidewalls.