Slight propane smell

SmokeyBare

Propane is heavier than air... that said... should those tanks leak... they would under normal circumstances leak downward... which is why the tanks are not in a sealed area but have plenty of open space below them. The leaking gas would flow to the ground. Which is also why the gas detector inside the RV is at the floor level.

Spray bottle of soap... such as dish soap mixed with water... is a very safe and effective way to look for leaks. Spray around the regulator... the fittings that are threaded together... any of the hoses and lines... easy enough to crawl under the RV and spray the pipe fittings... watching for any growing bubbles... which would be caused by the gas escaping from a leak.

Please remember to keep your handy Bic Lighter in your pocket... your handy grill lighter safely put away.... do NOT be tempted to check for leaks with a flame !!

Need to know how much gas is in the Propane tank?? Heat a cup of water in the tea pot... or the Micro wave... boiling water poured down the side of the tank... will show the level of gas at the liquid line. Try it...

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Matthias - when we pick up our new BC in Feb 07 and took it out for a shakedown run, there was a strong smell of gas outside halfway between the gas tanks area and the range/refrig. Ran the unit back to the dealer who found the brass coupling splitter between the stove and refrig had cracked. He just ran down to the hardware store and replace the coupling. I didn't have any idea where to even begin looking for such a thing. Good thing the dealership was on our way home!!!! Moral of the story - it might be more than a small odor smell.

SmokeyBare

All I can do is chuckle....

Spray bottle at the dollar store.. $ 1.00 + tax

PH neutral, Anti Corrosive soap (Ivory?) $ 1.99 + Tax

Peace of mind I didn't torch the RV with a Bic Lighter PRICELESS !

Although for those who are willing to stimulate the economy... go get your sniffer ! :)

PS: I doubt I'd live long enough to witness the self destruction of the Corroded
gas line or pipe fittings.