Slow Draining Grey Tank

porthole

Retired
My rear grey tank drains slow and this weekend I drained the freshwater. I know the indicators are of little value but mine still shows 1/3. Hopefully this week I will get a chance to pull down the underbelly and look.

Also need to see how much work it will be to change my uphill draining black tank.

Jimmyt5

My fresh water has shown 1/3 since day one. I have tried all sorts of things. I think it must be the way the tank and sensors are mounted.
Please post what you find.....

dougab

I have the same problem with a new big country 5th wheel. I took it to dealer for warrenty work and the pipe leading from grey tank 2 is level to the valve then to discharge area, no slope, the dealer has fix remove straight pipe with slope pipe. Factory says it won't pay for fix, as because it is hooked to pickup(i have a stock 2004 dodge) the front is higher, if unit is level it should drain. How incovient can you imagine you have to unhook at a dump station to drain your tanks, not sure all the folks waiting in line would like that. I am hoping Heartlland changes their mind and pays for fix about $490 and maybe they have redesigned the newer ones.

jimtoo

Hi dougab,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Your Big Country and all 5er's are designed to be parked level and towed level. If your towing nose high, you should adjust your hitch or what ever is needed to tow your 5er in a level position. By towing nose high you are putting a lot more load on the back axle and very possibly are overloading the bearings and tires on that axle, which may cause more damage due to blowouts or bearing failure. I would suggest you get the 5er weighed wheel by wheel while hooked to pickup and ready to camp.

If you cannot change to tow level, carry some blocks of wood to pull your 5er up on when you dump and lean it to the dumping side will make it quicker.

I'm sure some others will have maybe more information also.

Also this thread is 7 months old, but it is OK to reopen it.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One other thing about towing level is the refrigerator will not cool properly when it is not level.

Northern Virginia
I have found that the jiggling motion of driving down the road offsets any unlevelness and allows the fridge to keep cool.

My TV setup won't allow me to have the 5th wheel level when towing. It's a bummer but I can't figure out any way around it.

John

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Can you raise or lower the hitch or kingpin to level it out. Also the bad thing about not towing level is if you pull into a site for the night and the site is level you will have to unhitch to get your rig level. Sometimes we don't unhitch if we are only spending the night.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have found that the jiggling motion of driving down the road offsets any unlevelness and allows the fridge to keep cool.

My TV setup won't allow me to have the 5th wheel level when towing. It's a bummer but I can't figure out any way around it.

John

Who set up your hitch, TV, and rig for you? I've got a 16K Reese, and it's mounting height is adjustable from 13" to 17." Towing a BH3670, albeit a little lighter than an Augusta with generator, with my GMC 3500HD, the rig rides level. Looking at the four positions possible on my hitch, it's mounted one position from the top (15 1/2"?) Are you running nose down or high?

Northern Virginia
My Reese 20k is at the highest. I ride nose high. When I back my rig into it's parking spot next to the house, I have to back across a grassy area that has slight rolls to it. The underside of the 5th wheel that rides over the truck's bed rails will get to within about an inch of the bed rails so I don't want to lower it any. I also have 265 tires and air bags.

I am not crazy high and unlevel but I have the same problem as dougab who revived this thread. When I dump, if at all possible, I will drive to the down hill side of the dump station, which helps me get level for dumping. The tanks will definitely dump better when I am facing down hill (and leaning to the off door side)

John

dougab

As far as level goes I think you need to get it as level as possible, however you have to have clearance between bed rails and unit. I still believe it is a design flaw.

Willym

As far as level goes I think you need to get it as level as possible, however you have to have clearance between bed rails and unit. I still believe it is a design flaw.
You don't say what truck you have. However, at least some of the HD trucks can be lowered at the back. My previous truck, a SRW F350 could be dropped 2", and I have just lowered my Dodge DRW 1.25". The various truck forums have information on what can be done.

dougab

I have a 2004 dodge 2500 quad cab diesel 4x4 stock. I have just gotten back my unit from dealer looks like they did a great job on fixing tank 2 problem. It now has a sloped pipe to the main discharge, and the valve is still above the underbelly protection. I hope heartland changes the design.