Small change to A/C big difference in air flow

Garypowell

I have always been interested in more cooling power in my rig. Even with two units chugg’n away it still does not get cool enough for me.

Sitting in storage with one A/C on I tried something that has been on my list for a few months.

I took the registers out of the farthest points on each duct from the A/C units. I then took some aluminized tape (see picture) and built a wall just a few inches past the opening on the “dead end” side of the duct. It was a little tedious (small opening) but once I got the hang of it….it only took 10 minutes or so per opening.

Prior to doing this I could hold my hand up by the registers and feel very little air movement. Now I can sit on my couch and actually feel the air movement. I don’t have a wind-o-meter so I can’t report an actual increase quantitatively. But now holding my hand by the register the air just blows by. Maybe if someone who has such a device they can do the mod and report some actual results.

I also have to realize that maybe most ducts have been sealed off at the factory….and somehow mine got missed. Even a great coach company can miss a thing or two.

Here is the picture.

Foil in vent.JPG

conradsteph

That's a good mod. I tried the same thing with mine and I did get more airflow on one side of the vent (closest to the new mod) but the opposite side (closest to air source) I actually got less air. Further investigation on the forum and from the Heartland User Guide on cooling and heating mentioned that the turbulent air created from the dead end (that I blocked air from with my mod) was needed to push air back thru the vent toward the air source. So i took out my wall and indeed i had better flow on both sides. But I diid add that same type of wall on one side of the coach because the remaining duct went to the garage and was really just waisted air. Glad it works for you. Another good mod that did work for me was the "tent" structure to help push air to the sides thru the ductwork instead of straight down. But I took it out because you can't use your dump air vent (straight down air with max volume) with that mod in place.