socket size for removing heating element

Tweitekamp

Can someone tell me what size socket is needed to remove the hot water heating element? I did mine a year ago and I think it was a 1 1/2"----1/2" drive....but I slept since I replaced it. A friend at work has a 3300sk sundance like mine and asked what I used. He said his gas line was in the way. I can't remember if I had to loosen or remove my gas line or not.

But if someone can chime in with any hints or tricks to refresh my memory I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Can someone tell me what size socket is needed to remove the hot water heating element? I did mine a year ago and I think it was a 1 1/2"----1/2" drive....but I slept since I replaced it. A friend at work has a 3300sk sundance like mine and asked what I used. He said his gas line was in the way. I can't remember if I had to loosen or remove my gas line or not.

But if someone can chime in with any hints or tricks to refresh my memory I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

If you already have a 1 1/2" six-point (hex) socket, that should work. There is an actual tool available that is used to remove them. Basically a 5" piece of pipe with a 1 1/2" hex socket formed in one end and a steel rod that inserts at the opposite end to turn it. I think you can find them in big box stores, where they sell water heater elements. Looks like an oversized spark plug wrench. I have one in my "plumbing kit."

JohnDar

I think it's a 1-1/16th not 1-1/2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The anode is 1 1'16", the element is 1 1/2". If you look on Page 8 of the water heater troubleshooting guide in the Tools tab, you can see them side by side. The element is definitely larger.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I just did mine its 1-1/16 and I use a deep well with 1/2 inch drive seems to be the right length.

JohnDar

I just did mine its 1-1/16 and I use a deep well with 1/2 inch drive seems to be the right length.

OK, best two out of three falls takes the match (and I cheat). Here's a description of the Suburban water heater element (not the anode rod). If the threads are 1 1/2", as it says, how can the socket only be 1 1/16"? Again, take a look at the picture in the aforementioned post.

[h=2]PRODUCT DESCRIPTION[/h]Suburban 520789 Water Heater Screw In Electric Element
Product Description: Screw In w/Gasket for SW6-10 DE/DEM​
Please Note: 520789 is a 1,440 watt – Suburban may change element numbers and they are different watts as well. Replacements can be from 1,000 watts to 1,500 watts. Thread size approximately 1-1/2″ in diameter.​

danemayer

The anode is 1 1'16", the element is 1 1/2". If you look on Page 8 of the water heater troubleshooting guide in the Tools tab, you can see them side by side. The element is definitely larger.
Yep - I was reading it as anode, not element.

JanAndBill

Not sure about the size but it must be fairly standard for all "elements", because I pulled the element wrench out of the tool box and it worked. A socket with an extension would be better though because you are less likely to skin your knuckles. Also be aware that if it's the suburban 12 gallon the book has an incorrect part number. Can't remember the correct number but if you will search my posts for " incorrect part number " you'll find it.

sjs731

I think when I did mine you do have to remove the brass piece off the end of the gas line. I bought the water heater element socket from Amazon. Not sure of the size but definitely bigger than the anode rod.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a picture of the water heater element removal tool.
It is 1 1/2 inch.
About $6.
317KX7GNA9L.jpg

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I actually have one of those at home and couldn't remember what it was for. DUH! Guess I should put it back on the RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hoamai

the correct ( accurate )socket size is 1 1/2" six-point socket. Please trying to remember this you can't made a socket out of thin sheet metal. it maybe cheap but it could take a lot of your time and [h=2]Engineered & Patented Deep Impact Element Socket www.httoolsllc.com[/h]
  • 1/2" drive - 1 1/2" snug fit and providing a flat contact area for better grip for easy removal and replacement of those stubborn elements.
  • However, its best feature is that it securely holds the new element in place so that you can use the socket as a handle to align the threads while installing the new elements.
  • Drop-forged,
  • Heat-treated,
  • Notches in the socket lock onto ratchets or extensions,
  • This is the new revolution to save you time, money, headaches, backaches and painful knees from the other guy’s tools. This is a must have tool for any Plumber or Do-It-Yourself-er!!!
If you have ever had to do any work on your water heater, you understand how difficult it can be to remove an electric heating element. With extreme difficulty breaking these elements free, we have fitted this socket with a mold that fits perfectly around the heating element. It has such a tight fit that it won't only assist in removing the element but also replacing it. This patented element socket will help give you much needed leverage to line the threads and install elements with

tomhank

The size of the socket needed to remove a hot water heating element can vary depending on the make and model of the water heater. However, a common size for many residential water heaters is 1 1/2 inches or 1 1/2-inch socket. This is often used with a 1/2-inch drive ratchet.