socket size

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chuck, I would say if you know for sure you won't be using the coach for a couple months that it would be best to remove it and drain the tank. We had a Dutchman that had a heater that didn't have the anode rod and we started getting a funky taste in our water and I believe it was due to us leaving the tank full throughout the camping season. Better safe than sorry for a few minutes work.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks, Ray. I'll keep that in mind. Of course, when I take it to the storage lot, I figure it will be out within the month, but then other things happen to change our plans.

Maybe it's because we live in it in Florida for three months straight during the winter.

grizzlygiant

I wrap Teflon tape on the threads and install and remove the rod with a cresent wrench and no problems.

The reason for bare (no Teflon) threads on the plug is so that there will be good electrical contact between the sacrifical anode and the tank of the heater. Insulating the plug (with Teflon) destroys the effectiveness of the anode.

davelinde

...good electrical contact ... Insulating the plug (with Teflon) destroys the effectiveness of the anode.

hmmm... that does make some sense - though I was always bad at chemistry.

How about a little anti-seize compound instead? I've always used tape because it helps seal too... I have not had time to pull our anode yet but it will be on my spring tune up list.

jimtoo

The original rod comes with Teflon tape on it, or mine did... the threads will cut through and make a good connection. But it somehow prevents it from seizing. I think it just fills in the minute little pores or cuts in the threads that allow the rust to form and cause it to seize.

I have used it for years in the automotive field of sensors into cooling systems on engine blocks and never had a problem with electrical connections.

Jim M