Soft brakes question, not sure if they're right...

Hi All,

Not a trailer newbie, but a 5ver newbie question here... This is my first fifth-wheel trailer and my wife and I are full-timers. We have a 2012 Landmark Grand Canyon and a 2016 Ram 3500 Dually (rated to 25k) as our tow vehicle. I'm not sure if I'm having brake issues or not. With my past trailers, I could crank up the brake controller to 10 and pretty well lock-up the trailer brakes. With the new setup, it seems like I have to run the controller on 9 to get a decent bite. I have my controller configured for a heavy trailer with a gain of 9. Even if I put the controller at 10 (max) and manually try to hit the brakes on the controller, they don't really lock up although the whole unit seems to stop fine, just takes a bit longer. The bite is so-so but I feel like it's a bit under performing. I did have a technician out and watched him manually adjust the brakes but they still seem soft. The trailer weight is around 15,5.

Is it me, or is this pretty well standard with this heavy of a rig? Should the brakes be able to lock up?

Thanks for the feedback.
Ryan

danemayer

Hi Ryan,

When my brakes were working well, I could do a pull test and pretty much hold the truck using the trailer brakes. When not working well, the truck would pull and the trailer wheels would roll. Some resistance, but not enough to hold position.

It's not uncommon for grease to leak past the bearing seal and contaminate the brakes.

I moved to disc brakes last fall.

sengli

I have both GM, and now a RAM 3500 dually pulling my fiver, and used the built in brake controllers. I run my brake setting at like 6 in the RAM. But then again my rig is 3000lbs lighter. I have never been able to lock up the wheels on dry pavement. I can on gravel. On a pull test I can stop the truck and fiver pretty well at this setting. I would assume your axles to be new enough that they should be equipped with the nevR adjust option, with self adjusting brakes. If so back up and hit the brakes a few times. If the inner seals are leaking, and someone has been pumping grease thru the zerk in the center of the hub..your brakes might be coated with grease.

SNOKING

Starting in 2015 the RAM IBC seems to have problems. Lots of internet post in this regard. RAM is suppose to fix it with a reflash, however nothing has occur in that regard. In the mean time try heavy electric over hydraullic setting. Chris

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I run our gain at 6 - 6.5.
15k lb Elkridge
2016 RAM

Doesn't really lock them up but has a good bite.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Starting in 2015 the RAM IBC seems to have problems. Lots of internet post in this regard. RAM is suppose to fix it with a reflash, however nothing has occur in that regard. In the mean time try heavy electric over hydraullic setting. Chris

[My dealer did update my 2016 Ram with a new program for the trailer brakes and it is a lot better...They did it before I took off for Havasu....you may want to check with you dealer...]

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My dealer did update my 2016 Ram with a new program for the trailer brakes and it is a lot better...They did it before I took off for Havasu....you may want to check with you dealer...]

Thanks for the info. I might stop tomorrow and see if there's an update for mine. You can never have enough stopping power.

Awesome, Thanks for the feedback guys! I didn't know there was an update for the IBC and I'll check that as well. As far as the brakes, the model year brochure does mention them being Nev-R-Adjust brakes. I'll try backing up the trailer and seeing if they adjust. We're heading to Florida tomorrow from Georgia so a short drive. I'll have someone take a look at the brakes when we're there.

farside291

I run mine on 8 and the brakes will not lock up with the manual slide bar doing the test at 20 mph. But...last year I had a panic stop on the off ramp to Bucky's and the trailer brakes locked up. How do I know, because I saw the fifth wheel slide to the right out of the lane. But that was with a full lockup of the brakes on the Ram. I am fairly confident the trailer would not push me. Maybe the 14 inch disks on the truck make a sizable difference also. One thing is for sure, I never had the braking confidence with my 03 Chevy dually that I have now. That being said I am calling my dealer to check on a reflash.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a Landmark 365 hitting 18k with my GMC set on 10 it never felt safe to me. In a panic stop I couldn't stop if I wanted to.
I just did the Disc brake conversion and wow what a difference.
I think with a rig this big and heavy you definitely should have disc brakes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

+2. I just did the Performance brake conversion too. When I first bought the trailer I could lock up the brakes but as time went on even on 10 it felt like I had little to no brake from the trailer. I talked with the installers when they were doing the conversion and they said that was pretty much normal with drum brakes. Boy is it a different story with the disk brakes. I had them set on 6 and had to jump on the brakes in traffic and they locked up right away. I backed it off to 5 and they still grab aggressively when I put the brakes on. I love it!