SOLVED: Batteries don't charge by generator

Wannabes

I have just purchased a 2010 Road Warrior 305, with dual 6 volt batteries and they aren't charging when the generator is running. I have 110 volts at my plugs in the trailer so I know that's working and when I plug it into the shore line the lights on the panel all come on, indicating its charging that way, I've checked for fuses and breakers on the panel, pulled it out and looked behind it but can't find any other fuses, do you have any ideas where I should look next?

jnbhobe

Re: Batteries don't charge by generator

Check the 3 fuses on the converter located behind the basement wall.

danemayer

The 12V Block Diagram and Troubleshooting Guide from the manuals section of the forum may help you troubleshoot the problem. This problem is usually a tripped 12V circuit breaker on the buss bar near the battery. In your description however, you say the battery charges when on shore power. But you're concluding that based on the control panel, not on actually checking the batteries.

If everything is actually working correctly when on shore power, but not from the genny, AND it's the factory installed genny, then I would suspect you're losing one leg of the generator output. Check the circuit breakers on the genny. If ok, you could be losing power at the transfer switch.

Wannabes

Hello, I'm back on days off and back trying to resolve my charging problem from the generator on my 2010 305RW. This is what I've found so far - when plugged into the shore line, the batteries ( 2 - 6volts) charge fine, multi meter is showing 13.48 volts, batteries also charge fine from the truck, when shoreline is unplugged, the meter shows 12.92 volts but when I start the generator, with the shoreline unplugged, the voltage drops to 12.88 volts but I do have 110 in the trailer with the generator running. I have had a look at the inverter behind the wall and can see 2 fuses on top, they are good and have have unplugged and replugged the inverter into the 110 plugin. I have checked the busebar, while I can't find a red reset button there I did check all the breakers and they all have the same voltage across them. Any other suggestions?
Thank you

danemayer

Still sounds like you're missing one leg of the voltage from the generator; either at the generator, or at the transfer switch. Do ALL of your 110V appliances and outlets work when on the genny?

Wannabes

Thank you for your reply. I haven't tried all the appliances and other 110 volt outlets, but I will. Ill let you know how make out

Wannabes

Problem solved! When I checked it out, there was only 110 volts on one leg when the generator was running. The leg that was dead had the outlet for the inverter on it. We found two problems, first we found that there is a junction box where the generator ties in, one of the marettes had one of the wires out, we surprised that wasn't the answer, we then went and checked out the contactor behind the wall and found the black wire wasn't tied in! Not sure how it passed PDI, and know I know why the previous owner stated that he " never used the generator". Thank you again for getting me headed down the right direction.

danemayer

Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD