SOLVED: Camper is Tripping House GFI

MagnoliaTom

I always plug my camper into a 110v gfi outlet in my garage using a 100' extension cord. Now all of a sudden, the gfi trips almost immediately after I plug it in. I have checked the plug itself (by using a circular saw and a shop vac), made sure nothing was left on inside the camper, turned off all lights, etc. also checked the extension cord with saw and vac.

I even turned off all the campers breakers except for the main, converter and slide. Same problem. So, I turn off slide breaker and no gfi tripping!! WTH?? So, could there be a problem with my slide out switch or circuit? How would I go about testing it?

Thanks for any insight you could provide

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Camper is Tripping House GFI

Odd that disconnecting the slide circuit would stop the GFI trips since that is 12 volts and your problem is with 120.
You might have a converter problem.
Try unplugging the converter.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Slideout motors and hydraulic pumps that operate slides are typically 12V, getting power from either the fuse box or from mini-circuit breakers near the battery. So if you're talking about a 110V AC circuit breaker labeled "Slide Out", that would be for outlets in the slide out. With power shut off, look under the slideout for a junction box and check the wiring connections inside. Power off because your could have a short electrifying the box.

MagnoliaTom

Thanks cookie, I'll see what happens. With the converter unplugged, the battery won't get charged, correct?

MagnoliaTom

Danemayer, thank you. I believe the only outlets in a slide out would be in the outdoor kitchen. I'll look there too

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Yes that is correct. no converter no battery charge.
If you find that the converter is the problem you can use a battery charger as a temporary replacement.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

MagnoliaTom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422210403.834620.jpg
Found the source of my problem. Not sure how it happened but now I need to repair it

MagnoliaTom

Thanks to danemayer! I located this chaffed wire when looking at junction boxes under my slides. I think it could have been caused by our rodent intruder. Even though I poisoned the little booger, he still got the last laugh!