SOLVED: Electrical issues

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
12 hours ago everything in our rig was working. 200 miles later, our fridge only works on gas, all outlets non gfi from the fridge to the back wall won't work, fire place wont work, power chairs wont work. Progressive surge protector reading normal with E 0 code. The plug for the fridge is dead. One of the junction boxes under the off door slide has power to it, the other next to it does not. All fuses are good and I reset the breakers including the coach 50 amp. What should I look at next? I am usually pretty good with electrical but I am stumped. 2017 BC.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Electrical issues

do you have a read out on your Progressive surge protector with a readout ? L-1 and L-2 should both read around 119 area.

Not much help but we need to see if you have power to both legs coming in.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Do you have the power management system in that rig.

67b7ad9d58428a18d403d27ef51a3fe2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

do you have a read out on your Progressive surge protector with a readout ? L-1 and L-2 should both read around 119 area.

Not much help but we need to see if you have power to both legs coming in.
L-1 122 1A
L-2 120 15A
60H

Those are the readouts this morning. I don't know if it matters but both ac's are working.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

Check for a junction box under the other slide.

I found that one and it has power. I am using one of those pencil testers. I cannot remember what exactly they are called. I have also checked the batteries, they are good. When we disconnected from the pedestal last night none of the lights went dim either although I am not sure that is a positive since we are not having issues with the 12 volt.

Is it at all possible that the surge protector could be reading the pedestal incorrectly? Counting our NC blessings that the AC's both work in all this!

danemayer

Maybe back to the other side. Open both junction boxes (power disconnected) and check wire nut and other wire connections. Look for wires going through the frame to see if there are any breaks or indications of wire damage.

Flick

I found that one and it has power. I am using one of those pencil testers. I cannot remember what exactly they are called. I have also checked the batteries, they are good. When we disconnected from the pedestal last night none of the lights went dim either although I am not sure that is a positive since we are not having issues with the 12 volt.

Is it at all possible that the surge protector could be reading the pedestal incorrectly? Counting our NC blessings that the AC's both work in all this!

I don’t think you have any problem with with your pedestal or at least up to where your rv 50 amp breakers are. The fact that both ac’s are running tells that both legs are hot since ac’s, if they’re set up correctly, are hooked to separate incoming legs.
I read where you said you found the junction box and it is hot. But did you open it up and check for a loose wire? The loose wire could be a neutral white wire or a black hot wire. It more than likely is a loose wire somewhere and you have to keep looking. That 200 mile trip shook something loose.
I’m sure you’re aware, but for others who would contemplate looking for a loose 120v wire, disconnect from the pedestal first.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t think you have any problem with with your pedestal or at least up to where your rv 50 amp breakers are. The fact that both ac’s are running tells that both legs are hot since ac’s, if they’re set up correctly, are hooked to separate incoming legs.
I read where you said you found the junction box and it is hot. But did you open it up and check for a loose wire? The loose wire could be a neutral white wire or a black hot wire. It more than likely is a loose wire somewhere and you have to keep looking. That 200 mile trip shook something loose.
I’m sure you’re aware, but for others who would contemplate looking for a loose 120v wire, disconnect from the pedestal first.

Dan beat me to it and my post gives you almost same info. But don’t forget to check neutral wires.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

Maybe back to the other side. Open both junction boxes (power disconnected) and check wire nut and other wire connections. Look for wires going through the frame to see if there are any breaks or indications of wire damage.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Flick
I’m sure you’re aware, but for others who would contemplate looking for a loose 120v wire, disconnect from the pedestal first."

I haven't checked the connections past opening up the boxes. I will start working on that now. Thank you for taking the time to assist with this. The boss isn't watching Ancient Aliens today and things are getting tense! :cool:

wdk450

The contactor relay in the protection box COULD be malfunctioning and not passing current intermittently although the metering circuitry which measures BEFORE the output contactor relay could be indicating good voltage. Your load current values would be low, though, during this relay problem. Filing the contactor contacts and using electrical connector spray should help if you have this problem.

If you have cord reel problems, that should show up on the power protection readouts as low/no voltage or error codes.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

The contactor relay in the protection box COULD be malfunctioning and not passing current intermittently although the metering circuitry which measures BEFORE the output contactor relay could be indicating good voltage. Your load current values would be low, though, during this relay problem. Filing the contactor contacts and using electrical connector spray should help if you have this problem.

If you have cord reel problems, that should show up on the power protection readouts as low/no voltage or error codes.

That was a thought for me as well. I just had an electrician check that and all of the circuit breakers in the rig and it all checked out as working properly. I am now relegated to previous suggestions and will start chasing down that loose connection.

The pedestal also checked out as working properly.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

So I changed out and checked the connections for the outside junction boxes and it changed nothing. Is there a circuit diagram for the BC somewhere I can look at? It seems to me I need to find the circuit that all these outlet daisy chain off of.

CDN

B and B

Does your non contact tester light at any of the outlets? Might be the first outlet in the chain is bad, broken wire in the isolation displacement part in the back.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

Does your non contact tester light at any of the outlets? Might be the first outlet in the chain is bad, broken wire in the isolation displacement part in the back.
I hear you. Problem is I don't know if the circuit goes from the back to the middle or the other way around. Good to know I am still thinking about it straight. Appreciate the reply.

wdk450

BTW, the non-contact tester tests for the presence of HOT voltage only. IT DOES NOT SHOW WHEN THERE IS AN OPEN NEUTRAL WIRE.

Flick

I hear you. Problem is I don't know if the circuit goes from the back to the middle or the other way around. Good to know I am still thinking about it straight. Appreciate the reply.

I surely sympathize with you. The problem you’re having is very common and can be tricky to resolve. Good thing is, you’ve eliminated a lot of possible trouble areas.
I suggest doing what Brian suggested because one of those plugs probably is the culprit. To at least narrow further, do a voltage test , if you can get to it on the refrigerator plug. Test from the hot to the ground leg to see if you get a voltage reading. If you get a reading, you then know you have a neutral open somewhere. If you get no voltage going from the hot to the ground leg, then you have an open hot wire.
You have to continue to look for which plug is the first in the series. You find it and repair, the others will work. I would start at or near the refrigerator or a plug nearby that’s working. Could be a bad wire or connection in a hot plug.
I would also check again the connections at the breaker on the line side for both the hot and neutrals. Something faulty is being overlooked.

Flick

So I changed out and checked the connections for the outside junction boxes and it changed nothing. Is there a circuit diagram for the BC somewhere I can look at? It seems to me I need to find the circuit that all these outlet daisy chain off of.

Just trying to help avoid some overlooked areas. When doing a connection test where there is a wire nut, don’t only check to see if the wire nut is tight, but use a long nose plier and give each wire in that wire nut a good tug. Wire nut could be tight and a wire could have pulled out.