SOLVED: Fridge Temperature Keeps Dropping

Birchwood

We have an RM 1350 and for the last couple days the temp has dropped to a low of 25F.We have reset the fridge by
powering down and simply turning it off.We had an issue with the left side door flap sticking and not totally sealing
with the right door but with some lube using petroleum jelly it works fine now.Also noticed the trailer during the last week
settled somewhat causing it to be out of level about 1/4 of a bubble side to side.Difficult of figure out what exactly may of caused this problem or maybe its a fridge malfunction.Has anyone else experienced a temp drop in their fridge!

jimtoo

Re: Fridge Temperature Keeps Dropping

Make sure you have not knocked the temp sensor off the fins inside the back of the fridge.

wdk450

There is none on this model.

There has to be some sort of temperature sensing device to tell the cooling unit when to shut down. It seems to me that I have heard of many of these thermistors going bad on this forum. Here is a link to a replacement thermistor kit that allows you to splice in a new thermistor (and gives you an idea for where it is inside the box) instead of having to thread wiring through the box walls: http://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

First time I've ever heard of the RM1350 having a "Too Low" temperature problem. They are notorious for running too warm. Have you tried cycling the temperature control down to 1 and back up through each setting?

wdk450

First time I've ever heard of the RM1350 having a "Too Low" temperature problem. They are notorious for running too warm. Have you tried cycling the temperature control down to 1 and back up through each setting?

Dinosaur Electronics/RV Cooling Unit Warehouse have an add-on control for the Dometics that have good cooling units but still run too warm. It adds adjustable resistance to the temperature sensor thermistor circuit to keep the cooling unit energized longer until a lower temperature is reached. Here is the link:
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-add-thermistor-By-Dinasour-Electronics-P2935109.aspx

Birchwood

Had an RV repair guy here and he focused on the placement of thermistor on the cooling fins.The fridge still shows a temp of 26 degrees after he installed a new bracket
for fastening the probe on fins.Personally I think its the controller as the fridge temp seems 26 F and the fridge is still cooling.

Birchwood

It was the thermistor. The probe detached from the holder that was fixed to the fridges fins.The holder was lost into a bag ,container etc we don't know.
An RV repair man came by and said it was the thermistor and required a new holder but he was not experienced with the placement of the thermistor.
We finally found the proper location of the thermistor but took a few days of trial and error.

Gaffer

Does the thermistor need to move up for colder and down for warmer or the other way around?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

PJ,
I believe up is colder. Trace

Birchwood

PJ,
I believe up is colder. Trace

Yes it seems the higher the cooler.I positioned it 1/2 inch to the left of the last fin and an inch south of halfway .Not sure where it was originally
but the fridge is now hovering around 36 to 38 F which is great.An authorized Dometic dealer is 2 hours away from here so happy its fixed.The RV
guy wasn't that experienced with large fridges like in our Landmark.