SOLVED - No TV signal in Bighorn 3585

PeternLiane

Re: Still no tv on bh 3585

Well, unfortunately, we discovered we are in the same boat... tried to install the replacement Jack Antenna head, and could not get the light on the antenna head (meaning no power) and no TV reception. We did not test the old antenna before we started the replacement, so we had to try many things to figure out our issue. We replaced the coax connector at the Jack Antenna head, three times. We went back and replaced the new antenna with the old, with no difference. We checked all the connections at the booster, all are well-attached. We finally tried to hook the Jack antenna head to the booster with a new piece of coax inside the rig, and voila! we had power to the Jack Antenna head (light came on) and after scanning for channels, it worked perfectly. So we believe the problem lies within the coax from the booster to the antenna, just like Farmer45.

Any thoughts on this, we are listening. A 5 min. project took all day, and no solution yet. :(

Did you try a new gold coupler connecting the two coax together? You can even use a splitter just cap the one side. I've had the couplers go out on me more than anything. Try a gold coupler for better connectivity. Let me know.

FARMER45

I just had a funny thought, my trailer just went out of warranty. The first time I put it in the shop for this problem it was two weeks old. Now a year later four more trips 800 miles and two different heartland dealers later .
i get on this forum one day later with everyone's ideas, and after about an hour labor I had figered out the problem, granted I havent got it fixed yet but I am a year closer. Thanks guys

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Did you try a new gold coupler connecting the two coax together? You can even use a splitter just cap the one side. I've had the couplers go out on me more than anything. Try a gold coupler for better connectivity. Let me know.

We have not jumped into tearing things apart to find any in-ceiling connections. Only replaced the one at the antenna head (3-times, and yes, using the proper tools). Will have to do next weekend! Storms are approaching, so we took our rig back to storage.

E

wdk450

Gang:
I am going to give one more bit of advice on electrical connections that everyone who has been seeing my frequent posts is probably sick of, but I REALLY believe in this. Go to Radio Shack (or Newark Electronics online) and find some Caig Cramolyn DeOxideIt contact cleaner spray. Spray it on every TV connector in the chain. No this won't fix shield hair shorts, pinched coax, or the like, but I have seen fuzzy pictures clear up, switches that refused to work start working, and so forth. Especially on those corroded park cable tv hookup jacks.
Yeah, its a little pricey, but it is usually a one time application. Google the Caig website to learn more and get testimonials.

FARMER45

I now have good tv. Saturday I figgered out the coax from booster to antenna must be bad, so today I pulled the antenna off. Then I saw that the gray wire that was on the booster to antenna turned black when it got to the roof. I rubbed my bald head and took my ohm meter figgered out the gray wire went to the cable connection in the umc . The black wire in the cable spot on booster was for the antenna. So i switch them. Sat, tv1 and tv2 wires were right
i had never tried to use cable before I guess. I guess the reason I had tv in towns was just a strong signal
i went from zero channels to seven in my driveway 15 miles from town

Tex2sum

TravelTiger,

Notice you use a Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, considering putting one on our 2010 Bighorn(a standard one). Can you share some insight/experience on how you like.

Martin

phix

We also had problems similar to yours. We never got as many chanels as we should have. DH ran a cable from the roof antenna, outside, thru the front door, and to the TV. Much, much better! It was a bad coax cable. It was like that from the factory. You might want to repeat this test.

rick_debbie_gallant

TravelTiger,

Notice you use a Reese 5th Airborne Pin Box, considering putting one on our 2010 Bighorn(a standard one). Can you share some insight/experience on how you like.

Martin

We put one a couple of years ago and what a difference it makes. I was eve able to put the cowlng back on In fact you can not even tell by looking at the front f the rig that thee i a 5th airbon on it. The only problem was the wrong itch was in the box. but the seller made things riht.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Well, our antenna issue is fixed now! Took the crank off inside and was able to ffIsh around and locate a coax coupler that was lose! Tightened it, and voila! Antenna works great!

Imurphy

Every coax connection I have touched on my RW420 has been loose. As a tech for the cable company we always were told to torque em down. Living room to would get 20 channels. When the bedroom got 26. Rear tv 5. Now they are all equal.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk