SOLVED: Truck help needed asap Christmas Eve

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Discovered our coolant temperature sensor is acting up. (Gauge goes wacky). Have the part but can't find anyone to do they work. In Cisco TX.

Anyone good at working on trucks that can walk us through steps? 2013 GMC 3500 duramax diesel. We can see the sensor, but need to know how to remove it properly (have no experience at auto repair).

Google leads to too many more questions for someone with no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Truck help needed asap Christmas Eve

Erika is it causing the truck to not function ?
Or is it just the gauge wigging out ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I could not find much more on replacement. There is a bunch on how to find it but you have done that. There is not a lot of room to work in the engine compartment so I have found that working until you get frustrated and then taking a break helps with the blood pressure. :D

Sniper

If you can get to an auto zone they may have a Haynes or Chilton's repair manual for it. I bought one for my Powerstroke there and, keep it in the truck. They may even have someone there who can walk you through it.

TravelTiger

Truck help needed asap Christmas Eve

Erika is it causing the truck to not function ?
Or is it just the gauge wigging out ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

So far it wigged out twice in our 3.5 hour drive yesterday. Then again when we went to eat dinner. First time through a message saying something about overheating, and we pulled over but could find no evidence and reading went back to steady. Did it again (needle just goes back and forth) but no message.

Last night did same thing, and even when we were sitting idle, it would do it. Today hasn't yet while going to look for parts, so seems like it has to heat up a while before doing it.

Auto zone pulled code and said it's the Coolant Temp Sensor, but couldn't really help. Tony is attempting, based on some instruction from a mechanic friend that can't help till Monday.

We are supposed to be towing 5 hours today. Tomorrow has high wind advisory, so need to do it today.

Lynn1130

Did you look at the info I sent? It gives a pretty good description of where it is and what to do to replace it. I have not looked at mine but if it is the sensor wire connection simply pulling, putting some dielectric grease on it, adjusting the probes and reattaching may correct it. From my earlier post.

"I just changed mine. Looking at your engine from the front of the truck: In the coolant crossover (silver, sort of rounded thing in the front), follow it back to your left a few inches and you'll see a brass "plug" with a (2) wire connection. I believe you need a 3/4 wrench to get it out. It can be done without removing anything, you just don't have a lot of room to swing the wrench. Have the new one ready to go so you don't lose to much coolant when swapping (I lost about 1 cup). Should take you all of about 5 minutes.
There is another temp sensor that goes to your dash gauge, but that one is somewhere in the block (I think)."

TravelTiger

Did you look at the info I sent? It gives a pretty good description of where it is and what to do to replace it. I have not looked at mine but if it is the sensor wire connection simply pulling, putting some dielectric grease on it, adjusting the probes and reattaching may correct it. From my earlier post.

"I just changed mine. Looking at your engine from the front of the truck: In the coolant crossover (silver, sort of rounded thing in the front), follow it back to your left a few inches and you'll see a brass "plug" with a (2) wire connection. I believe you need a 3/4 wrench to get it out. It can be done without removing anything, you just don't have a lot of room to swing the wrench. Have the new one ready to go so you don't lose to much coolant when swapping (I lost about 1 cup). Should take you all of about 5 minutes.
There is another temp sensor that goes to your dash gauge, but that one is somewhere in the block (I think)."

Thanks Lynn, on Tapatalk the link didn't go correctly.

He located it and in the process of switching snapped the new one over tightening. But I just picked up another.

dlw930

Erika, I have the Haynes Repair Manual for 2007-2013 Silverados and Sierras. The removal/installation is a 6 step process in the manual. I'll PM you if you still need info.

TravelTiger

Erika, I have the Haynes Repair Manual for 2007-2013 Silverados and Sierras. The removal/installation is a 6 step process in the manual. I'll PM you if you still need info.

Thanks David, I think we got it. After eating lunch and regrouping we will try again with the new part. 2nd time's a charm. ;)

dlw930

Thanks David, I think we got it. After eating lunch and regrouping we will try again with the new part. 2nd time's a charm. ;)

Ok. Let me know if I can help. Just FYI,

7bc6eabd710eceab33623b80b1e2a992.jpg

TravelTiger

Ok. Let me know if I can help. Just FYI,

7bc6eabd710eceab33623b80b1e2a992.jpg

Thanks David, the first one had something already on the threads. The second one did not, so he'll put some tape on it.

Lynn1130

Just to the point of "snug" and no more. If it leaks snug it slightly again.

TravelTiger

We got 'er done! Been driving about an hour and all ok. Thanks all!!

danemayer

Check the Diesel Manual to see what it says about adding Water/Coolant, if the need should arise. I recall our 2011 GMC had a warning about adding water.

TravelTiger

Tony only lost about a cup. Added a little back in to the reservoir.

TravelTiger

2.5 hours on the road and all seems good.