SOLVED: Water Pump - Shurflo 5.7 issues

porthole

Retired
Re: Water Pump - Shurflo 5.7 issues

What stinks about the "not so sure"-flo 5.7 pump is the only difference between the OEM pump and the over the counter part is one digit in the part number,
5900-0210 vs. 5900-0211 and 1 year warranty vs. 3 years.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Re: Water Pump - Shurflo 5.7 issues

STUPID ALERT !!! STUPID ALERT !!!

I found my problem and it is ME!! My Pump problem was a screwed up pluming issue that I caused!!! so now I have two perfectly good pumps... I think I may do a Gray Water Flush system next with my Extra Pump! I will be labeling all of my Hoses next time I do any kind of plumbing work. It was not until I had taken down the underbelly and was getting ready to pull new hose all the way to the FW tank that my son pointed out that I was pulling on the wrong hose...

I guess I had a Senior Moment on this mod!

Kevin

jbeletti

Glad you found the issue Kevin. I was pleased to be able to mark this one SOLVED :)

I have all the items needed to do a filter install like your. When can you be in central Tennessee? :)

porthole

Retired
Kevin - the odds of your 5.7 failing are high, I would just keep the new version installed and keep the currently working 5.7 in reserve.

recumbent615

Glad you found the issue Kevin. I was pleased to be able to mark this one SOLVED :)

I have all the items needed to do a filter install like your. When can you be in central Tennessee? :)

Jim,

I really should have looked into the mirror at the very beginning. OR at best I should have tested the entire system to make sure it was working before I messed with it... Your Mod should go a lot faster and simpler than mine for several reasons ... first you already have the pressure fill for the FW tank... so all you need to do is install the Filter on the City side of things making sure that all city water ( except for the BW flush ) goes through the filters and that your FW pump water does not , so it connects on the Trailer side of the filters right after the back flow valve.

Unless my job search takes me to TN it is unlikely that I'll be in your neighborhood - too bad you will not have your RIG at the NY Rally ... or we could do it there.. ;-)

Kevin

porthole

Retired
If there is any chance you will not be diligent and stand by the valve when you pressure fill your water tanks I would highly recommend that you just "crack" the valve.

That way when you forget and walk away and come back an hour later it will be running out your vent line but at a trickle instead of at full force - which has already redesigned the shape of your water tank.

Of course the same goes for black flush when hooked up to a manifold for flushing. And unless you have the drain open, I would not walk away for any reason doing that.

recumbent615

Duane,

Yes I plan on keeping the new pump installed and the 5.7 will either become the Gray water toilet flush system or as you suggest a spare just in case. as to the issues regarding the fill and flush ... I agree either one could be a mess ... I'm looking into a Flow alarm when either one is on ... but I will need to find a "simple" household setup since the only ones I seem to see on my first look were fro industrial applications and quite costly...

But for now I sit and watch...

Kevin