SOLVED: Weak trailer brakes after servicing

David-and-Cheryl

We just got our Landmark out of the shop after its annual service, which included repacking the bearings and inspecting the drum brakes, which were fine.

We do a "tug test" every time we hitch up, to test both the integrity of the hitch coupling and the trailer brakes. Normally, when I hold the trailer brakes and release the brake pedal in the truck, the trailer brakes will hold the truck in place. When we started to leave the shop last night, though, the truck was pulling the trailer forward even with the trailer brakes engaged.

The truck's panel indicated that the trailer was connected and the trailer brake controller was outputting the proper gain. We disconnected and reconnected the electrical umbilical cable a couple of times, with the same result. I then pulled the breakaway switch, and the trailer still rolled with the truck in Drive and at idle. So the problem is definitely on the trailer rather than the truck.

The shop had closed by this time, but one of the senior techs happened to see us on the lot as he was leaving, and stopped to help me troubleshoot. He had actually done the QC inspection on our brakes and bearings. During the troubleshooting process, we noted that the trailer lurched a bit when we replaced the breakaway pin, indicating that the trailer brakes were in fact applied. But they clearly are not applying the same stopping force that they were before we had it in the shop. The tech said that they might need to be "reseated" by applying them at 20-30 mph to heat them up, or they might need to be self-adjusted which would happen during backing up. So we drove about 20 miles to our campground, doing both along the way. The brakes are working, but they are still very weak, not providing nearly the same stopping force that they did before the service. I felt the drums when we stopped, and all four were warm or hot.

So, do I continue to drive the trailer and wait for the braking to improve on their own? Or do I need to take it back to the shop? If I do that, what is the most likely cause that they should look for?

lynndiwagoner

Re: Weak trailer brakes after servicing

I think they backed off the "star wheels" on the brakes so to get the hubs off for bearing maintenance. They need to go ahead and manually re-adjust the brakes. It would take a long time for the automatic feature to get them back to the previous adjustment.

danemayer

Find a road that doesn't have traffic. Apply the brake controller manually with light braking to slow from 40 to 20 over 10-20 seconds. Repeat every mile for 10 times. If a seating or adjustment issue, brakes should start to improve.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WillyBill

And if your axles are the kind with the grease zerks in the end of the spindle you might need to make sure that somebody did not use them to "grease" the bearings and get grease on the shoes-just saying. :)

Bill & Sherry Howell
2011 3612 Cyclone
2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW/Duramax/Allison/4x4 Long bed with big bed box
Pull Rite Super Glide Hitch (lets trailer clear the big Delta Pro bed box)

Bob.jr

If you do find greese on the brakes shoes, don't clean them!!! They must be replaced.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

If you have EZ lube, and the technician used a pneumatic lube machine to lube the zerk he may have damaged your seals.

I beg to differ/IMHO on the brake cleaning if they do have grease on them, brake clean will take grease off the shoe and make it usable again. I have washed them in tide soap and water and they looked and functioned like brand new. However if I paid someone to do the work, and they fouled the system because of poor workmanship, or failure to follow Dexter Axel's instructions for EZ-Lube then they would be buying a new set of shoes for me.

David-and-Cheryl

Thanks everyone. I talked with the tech and he says he inspected the shoes and drums himself for grease and dust before it was reassembled, so (hopefully) that's not the problem. His guess is an adjustment issue. He suggested trying basically the same self-adjustment procedure that Dan and others outlined--which I'll be doing when we move tomorrow--and if it doesn't work, to bring the rig back in on Monday for manual adjustment.

lynndiwagoner

IMO they should have adjusted them manually before it left the service facility. I haven't looked, but if the self adjusting brakes on RV's are like vehicles, then the self adjusting feature only works when in reverse. Each time you go in reverse and hit the brakes it moves the "star wheel" one click. Depending on how many clicks they loosened to get the drums off it could take many, many reverse/brake repetitions to get them adjusted. That's IF the self adjusting feature is working correctly. I know it's a PITA, but I would take it back. Good luck.

danemayer

IMO they should have adjusted them manually before it left the service facility. I haven't looked, but if the self adjusting brakes on RV's are like vehicles, then the self adjusting feature only works when in reverse. Each time you go in reverse and hit the brakes it moves the "star wheel" one click. Depending on how many clicks they loosened to get the drums off it could take many, many reverse/brake repetitions to get them adjusted. That's IF the self adjusting feature is working correctly. I know it's a PITA, but I would take it back. Good luck.

Unlike our 1950s cars, Dexter self-adjusting brakes adjust when moving forward.

And when the hubs are removed and replaced, sometimes the pads don't settle into exactly the same position and don't make good contact with the surface of the hub until they're applied a few times.

lynndiwagoner

Interesting to know. I was too lazy to look at the Dexter instructions. Thanks Dan.

David-and-Cheryl

So here's what ultimately happened. The brakes continued to improve the more we drove the trailer, but I felt they were still a little weak, so I took the rig back to the shop. They checked the brakes and said all was OK except for adjustment. On three of the four wheels, the auto-adjustment mechanism was about to "click over", so the tech went ahead and advanced it. The fourth wheel wasn't generating as much braking action, so he adjusted that brake set. I then test drove the rig and it felt just like it used to.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and solutions!

Gary521

I don't think you overreacted. The shop just did not adjust the brakes as they should have. Everything was mechanically OK but the "system" was NOT OK.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm done having dealerships work on anything . . .

Always takes multiple trips to get anything done right.

mlpeloquin

Glad you solved your break problem. I will never will allow a dealer to do any work again. I wanted better breaking than what I had, so I solved it by having disk breaks installed at the Las Vegas Rally this year. Never will pull without disks breaks again. Once you pull with them you will know why.