Soon to be new owner of 2014 Bighorn 3260Elite 5th Wheel - Have some questions.

GregBassine

Hello to all, I'm totally new to this forum so please forgive me if I am not following the right protocol. Let me know and I'll correct it. Here's my question. I am trading in my 2006 Terry Quantum 26' 5th wheel for our new Bighorn 3260Elite. Pulling and backing into campsites were fairly easy to do with the Terry. I have a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD Diesel short bed to pull the rig. I have a PullRite SuperGlide 5th wheel Hitch especially designed for Short Bed Trucks. Are there some tips for pulling the 10' longer rig? Turning tips? Backing in tips? To be frank, I'm more than a little nervous about pulling this new rig. Especially nervous with respect to turning and backing into campsites. Amy help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If possible, please contact me at dmginc@teleport.com. Thanks in advance, Greg

danemayer

Hi GregBassine,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get your questions answered because there's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

My recommendation would be to locate a large parking lot near the dealer where you'll be able to head right after picking up the trailer. Drive around a bit to get the feel of the turn radius. Pick a simulated turn lane and as you turn, use your mirror to watch how your trailer wheels track around the turn. Maybe get some cones to practice turning and backups.

I don't know if this is practical in your location, but one of our owners recently went through a similar upgrade and took his new rig to a Texas State Park near his home to practice backing into the sites. If you go to a State or County Park mid-week, they may even let you in to practice for an hour at no charge.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The best I can tell you is....yours turns either way will need to be wider and slower. Being 10' longer, the BH will react slower when backing up and turning. BTW, with a HL product you dont need a slider hitch.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Hi Greg.

Welcome to the forum! We went from never having a camper of any sort to one that was almost 40 ft long so we understand your concerns. The guys (and gals who drive) will give you good advice. We are now on our second coach with no major parking issues. Take your time and go out to practice when you can.

Oregon is having a campout at Casey's, outside of Oakridge on hwy 58 in October. You can find the info in the events tab at the top of each page. It is listed as being in Westfir, OR. You are welcome to come check out the club and our guests, if you would like to meet some new people.

Kristy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Greg, need to add this to my other post. You are now driving a BIG RIG.......SO......drive like you are. One other thing, when you make a U turn.....always make sure the back of the rig wont hit something when it swings around. Because its a loooong way from the axles to the rear of the Horn.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Dan's suggestion about finding a place to practice is a good one........ that's time well spent!
When we first started, we practiced too and made sure we had some beer for the people who sat in lawn chairs and helped us by making suggestions! :)