Sorry Dodge guys, I'm moving to the D/A camp

SilverRhino

I've owned trucks from each of the Big 3 and they all performed well for me. My last pickup was an '01 Dodge 3500 that I drove daily and towed our 5th wheels with for 13 years. Loved that truck and it did everything I ever asked of it. My brother has all three in his company fleet and I have had the opportunity to drive them, all 2013s......they all have different strong points. I always thought that if I could have a truck with a Cummins engint, Allison tranny and a Ford cab it would be the best of all worlds......that was until I got my Freithtliner with a Cat engine and the Allison 3000 tranny!

It's good that we have choices, it would really be boring on the internet if we could not "discuss" the attributes of which is the "best" truck to own :eek:

Whatever you drive..... Travel Safe!

Bryced15

Scotty, in 2008 GM trucks had a complete make over inside and out. My 2013 is not even close, inside and out, to the 2007 Chebby HD truck I had.

The body style of the GM HD trucks changed in 2007.5, so someone could have a 2007 that's the same inside and out as a 2013.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just for the record, I've owned Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks.

Part of my dilemma here is understanding something I see often.

Someone with a "great truck" and low miles will trade it for a newer model and the problems that may come with it?

My feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. JMHO Trace

scottyb

The body style of the GM HD trucks changed in 2007.5, so someone could have a 2007 that's the same inside and out as a 2013.

It was a 2007.5. They started calling the 2007's and earlier "Classics", while they still had both models on the lots. Ford was in it's feud with Navstar. I had one of the 1st new models in this area. It had been ordered for the owner of the dealership. Loved the truck, it's power, and the way it drove, just needed more storage space inside.

SilverRhino

Just for the record, I've owned Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks.

Part of my dilemma here is understanding something I see often.

Someone with a "great truck" and low miles will trade it for a newer model and the problems that may come with it?

My feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. JMHO Trace

Trace, I totally agree with you. In MHO that does not make much sense and seems like a bad investment move to me. Kept my last truck for over 13 years and 175k on the clock before I sold it to move to a MDT.

mobilcastle

You know they just don't make like they use to.:cool: Seriously I have owned Ford and Chevys. Cummins is a great motor. This Aisin tranny seems to be working out well to this point. I could own a Dodge. I think you can get a lemon from any of the big 3. It happens.
i had 303000 on my 10 when i traded it on 2014 and have 106000 on it. no warranty on ether truck

GOTTOYS

You know they just don't make like they use to.:cool: Seriously I have owned Ford and Chevys. Cummins is a great motor. This Aisin tranny seems to be working out well to this point. I could own a Dodge. I think you can get a lemon from any of the big 3. It happens.
I've owned all three of the major brands myself. Some were good some not. If it was a good one I kept it a long time as long as it suited my needs. If not I moved on. I think it would be foolish to be brand loyal. All these companies have changed ownership, profit structures, how they do business and so on. Nothing in the car business is the same as it was 15-20 years ago. Maybe the latest Ram pickup is a lot better than my 2010. I hope for those that own them they are...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just made the Dodge to Chevy switch 2 1/2 months ago today.

Over the years I've had five Dodge trucks (four vans and one Ram), three Fords and now my first Chevy truck.

The Dodge Ram I just sold had 164,000 miles on it and still had the original tranny and exhaust on it (except for the catalytic conver, which was replaced around 158,000 miles).

It was getting kind of tired for pulling our Trail Runner up in the Rocky Mountains, which is generally our destination of choice since they are only 20 miles away from our house, but still has plenty of life in it.

The new owner is moving from Colorado back to Rochester, New York and has already made two trips back there pulling a car trailer with his restored hot rods and has one more trip to go.

He has been keeping in touch with me and so far the only problem he's had with the truck is the headlight switch burned out on him . . . kind of strange!

I'm thinking that maybe his car trailer wiring might have something to do with that . . .

Anyway, my 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the Vortec 6.0 gas engine and 4.10 rear end now has 5,080 miles on it as it sits in the driveway right now and so far I am more than pleased with the truck!

We did have a monster hail storm back on September 29th and I just got a repair estimate of $1300 to fix the 35 hail dings found on it.

GOTTOYS

Yahoo! Picked up this bad boy today. 2015 LTZ, Crew Cab, 4wd, Duramax. All black in and out. It's a really nice truck. Much quieter than the Dodge with a way better ride. Drove about 60 miles back from the dealer on secondary roads. It had snowed here and the freeway was terrible. Accidents everywhere. Took our time and the readout on the dash said our average mpg was 18.2 ??? Now I need to figure out out the buttons and dials again...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yahoo! Picked up this bad boy today. 2015 LTZ, Crew Cab, 4wd, Duramax. All black in and out. It's a really nice truck. Much quieter than the Dodge with a way better ride. Drove about 60 miles back from the dealer on secondary roads. Took our time and the readout on the dash said our average mpg was 18.2 ??? Now I need to figure out out the buttons and dials again...Don

That will probably settle down to around 12-13 mpg after a few hundred miles . . . like mine did!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
John: He has a duramax not a gas engine....He will get much better than 13 mpg or something very wrong is happening.
My Dodge got 19.5 on the first tank out of the dealers show room floor.