South Texas Living

Piperflyer

We are looking into staying in South Texas (Brownsville) next winter and have heard that the wind blows there pretty hard most of the winter. Can anyone elaborate on this, who has spent winters there? Thanks

windviewer

We are looking into staying in South Texas (Brownsville) next winter and have heard that the wind blows there pretty hard most of the winter. Can anyone elaborate on this, who has spent winters there? Thanks

We spent a week over christmas 2016 on San Padre. I wouldn't say it was blowing hard for that week, but there was always a breeze. The dust (sand) would pick up at times.

Found it more foggy every morning than windy (very dense fog as well). The day we wanted to fly out (small aircraft) we waited until just after lunch to depart. The destination weather near Corpus Christi on the island was at minimums at 2 in the afternoon and we squeaked in but then it reduced to below miminums for 3 solid days.

olcoon

We haven't spent the entire winter down the valley, but have stayed for up to a month, then moved on to the Port Aransas area. I can say that the valley usually has at least a breeze blowing, but sometimes can be windy. The Port Aransas area it is usually a strong breeze to pretty windy, but it's right on the gulf. To be honest, I haven't been anywhere in Texas that didn't have wind. But we haven't travelled the whole state either.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've never stayed in Brownsville but have been going to Mission in the Rio Grande Valley for about 8 years. It gets a bit breezy but once we get used to it, it's not that bad.

Piperflyer

We've never stayed in Brownsville but have been going to Mission in the Rio Grande Valley for about 8 years. It gets a bit breezy but once we get used to it, it's not that bad.
Can you recommend any good parks to winter in around there? Would like something modern with room and not on top of your neighbors.

olcoon

This winter there were several of us Heartlanders staying at Cottonwood RV Park. It's nothing fancy, but has FHU, & a laundry in the clubhouse, and the price was real reasonable, a lot cheaper than some of the other parks & you weren't right on top of your neighbor. A lot of the parks down there have activities in the park, and some even have bands, etc. come into the park. About the only thing Cottonwood has is on Wednesday we would meet at a restaurant, for breakfast, and that evening those that wanted to would play bingo. Most of the parks that would have bands, etc. in the park anyone could attend for a fee. We've been in several of the parks down there and some of them are real tight. Sorry, off the top of my head I can't remember the names. HERE is a link to some info for the RGV, that also has a list of some of the parks, it's under the tab Winter Texan communities It's got them listed by city, and there is also a map. There is always something going on down there. Also if you are interested in going into Mexico, most everyone I know of crosses at Progresso, and I really haven't heard of any problems there, be sure to bring your passport.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We spent the month of February at Seven Oaks RV Park and really enjoyed it. Very friendly folks there. It was windy/breezy but was kind of welcome because it was pretty warm.