Speed

BillC59

Why is it everybody driving slower than us is an idiot and everyone driving faster than us is a maniac? Seriously does anybody actually tow their 5th wheel over 65 mph and if so why ?

jimtoo

Hi BillC59,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I think that's just the way it is. I very seldom get over 65, just seems a safe speed, truck is not working extra hard to maintain the speed, unless it's in the hills or mountains, then for me it's just where the truck is at a comfortable speed and rpm.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Bgthomas

I tow between 65 and 70 most of the time, slower depending on terrain. On the rare occasion that some schmuck hails with half the peace sign when he passes, I smile and wave. I don't care what other drivers think, so long as they don't do something to jeopardize me.

danemayer

Why is it everybody driving slower than us is an idiot and everyone driving faster than us is a maniac? Seriously does anybody actually tow their 5th wheel over 65 mph and if so why ?

FYI,

Most ST tires on trailers are rated for a max speed of 65 mph. Driving faster will cause internal damage that eventually will result in a sudden tire failure.

Not sure why anyone would want to go faster than 65mph. Remember you have to be able to stop in a reasonable distance and there is a lot of weight behind you. Slow down a little and enjoy the trip.

GOTTOYS

I run LT tires so the speed is not limited to 65. Sometimes I go 60 sometimes I go 70 or maybe in between. Depends on the road, the wind, the traffic, the weather. I don't think I'm an idiot or a maniac. You opinion may vary. My truck, my trailer. I don't think the results of crashing at 70 would be any different than at 60....JMHO...Don

donr827

Being retired I usually drove between 62-65. There is where I got the best mpg. It may take a little longer but more enjoyable.
Don

FiremanBill

The speed rating of 65 and the outflow limitations of my wallet to buy fuel keep me between 62-65. Anything over that the fuel mileage drops off significantly, and I've had blowouts... don't like 'em!

sengli

I live in northern Indiana, so all the RV factories are near here. I see transport drivers quite often whiz by me on the interstates at 70 plus, with brand new rigs in tow. When I am on vacation, its a mind set for me to relax. I usually tow at 60, and even slower when there are a lot of stop lights to get through. Sure with the available power of these modern trucks, I could tow at 80 MPH, but whats the point?

MCTalley

We generally run 65. With 75 mph rated tires (Sailuns), that leaves some headroom for passing, etc. Nice thing about 65 is most all cars and a majority of trucks are going to be going faster. I'd rather let them pass me than to have to be passing others all the time.

BillC59

Thanks for the warm welcome. Am hoping to make a rally one of these years JimM. From what I gather they seem like a lot of fun and a great resource of information. Just gotta get momma (wife) retired first. As for myself guys I like the slow and easy 65mph when towing. It just seems I'm not near as tired when arriving at my destination. Looking forward to the forum.

jimtoo

If you see another Heartland unit, just say HI. Have not met a bad one yet. :) Wellllllll, maybe not bad,,, but maybe a couple around here that ,,,, well,, you know :) They will jump in soon...:)

Jim M

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We are in California..... The speed limit is 55 towing a trailer :( "I Can't Drive 55" ....... I like to drive 65 to 70 but try to keep it under 65 to stay out of trouble.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Being retired I usually drove between 62-65. There is where I got the best mpg. It may take a little longer but more enjoyable.
Don

That be us...as our signature states "It's All About The Journey"!
A few mph makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. Besides we travel very little on Eisenhower's Interstate Highway System if there is a suitable alternate route...!!!