Split heating and cooling units...

badog62

image.jpegA split heating and cooling unit, they are primarily used for residential applications, but has anyone ever done this type of units on their coach? What are the pros and cons? They put out a decent amount of heat and air and are amazingly quiet compared installed OEM units. I saw an install on an older RV. Just wondering. Thanks.

jbeletti

Wonder if they're designed for the "rigor of the road"? I'd assume one might build a platform off the back of the RV to house the outdoor component and maybe mount the interior component (vent?) above the rear window?

The Mini-splits are designed more for "zone" AC applications. In a small single room type of RV they may prove effective, but a larger 5er or TT with separate rooms for bedroom and kitchen/living room, a single device might not effectively cool the space. 2 smaller units might be needed. RVs are are notoriously less well insulated than S&Bs so claims for cooling a given sqft of space have to be taken with a grain of salt to be sure. Since RV interior space is at a premium locating 2 of the interior portions of a minisplit could be a challenge but not impossible. The energy efficiency of the design is certainly worthy of further investigation for applications where cooling while boondocking is necessary. Any retro-fitted system will involve compromises vis a vis space needed (inside for the equipment and externally for the compressor section) vs the operating cost savings over the more standard rooftop designs which are cheaper for RV mfrs to install (rather than going to the complexity of a mini-split desgn or a central HVAC design).

Westwind

The other issue might be electrical power, I'm not sure that a 50 amp RV service would provide enough juice to operate the AC and other appliances in the RV. If the unit was fixed and not on the road I and the electricity requirement could be met I wouldn't hesitate to install a unit. My parents Condo had a unit and it cooled 1100 sq Ft. very well.