Split System or no?

SHerrick

Doing some pre-trip investigation and was curious about something. In the LCI manual, they go to lengths describing the hydraulic system for the living room slides, and in another chapter, they describe the Auto Level system, but they describe them as having separate hydraulic systems. I am trying to establish the proper level in the hydraulic tank, but if these two systems are tied together, the trailer has to be hooked up to the tow vehicle with all jacks retracted and the slide outs slid in. Is this correct or have I managed to overlook an entire hydraulic system somehow?

Thanks!

danemayer

One hydraulic system.

Yes, hook up to the truck and retract all slides and jacks. Then evaluate the fluid level in the tank.

richheck

Seasoned Member
It is my understanding that the fluid level should not change being all rams are two (2) way meaning fluid is pressurized in both extend and retract motions. That is why there are two hoses going to each ram, fluid just reverses with the change of directions.

On my dump trailer the ram only has one hose being the ram is a "gravity return" and the fluid level will drop as the ram is extended, on my RV, the level does not change being the rams are two way in order to extend (way 1) and retract (way two).

In addition, your hydrolic fluid storage tank is not large enough to hold the fluid necessary to fill and then store the necessary fluids for a one way ram on all slides and jacks

danemayer

I have a different understanding, but you might check it both ways and see whether there's a difference.

MTPockets

I know the manual says to check fluid levels with everything retracted. My reservoir is more full when retracted so the fluid goes somewhere. Maybe the jacks have less fluid inside when retracted?

avvidclif

I know the manual says to check fluid levels with everything retracted. My reservoir is more full when retracted so the fluid goes somewhere. Maybe the jacks have less fluid inside when retracted?

How much space (fluid) does that ram (that shiny thing that goes down) take up? There's the difference. No ram on the extend side, takes more fluid to extend than retract. The fluid level drops when extended. It's filling the space above the piston in the cylinder, less space under the piston because of the ram itself.