sporatic hot water volume and pressure

shovelguy

We are having a problem with sporadic hot water pressure and volume in all faucets, kitchen sink, shower and bathroom vanity. Cold water pressure and volume are good in all locations. Sometimes when you turn on the hot water, it's ok, the next time its turned on, its just a trickle, again its all locations, not just one, and only on the hot water side . It can't be the pressure regulator or the city supply as they both would affect cold as well as hot water. As it affects all faucets, regardless of location, I think the problem has to be somewhere between the hot water tank and the first T in the hot water distribution line. So far I have flushed the hot water tank, bypassed the hot water tank and blew all the lines clear with compressed air, disassembled and re assembled the line from the back of the hot water tank to the first T which goes to the shower. All with no success. Any ideas on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dean,
There is a small check valve in the fitting at the top of the water heater, behind the UDC.
I took mine out and replaced it with a plain brass nipple. I found it had been causing exactly what you are describing. It was sticking and restricting flow, on and off. Completely removing it solved the problem.

I was warned by some here against completely removing it, but have had no negative side effects after almost three years.
I think it only serves to keep anti-freeze from back feeding into the HWH when winterizing.
On the rare occasion that I have winterized, I dont use anti-freeze anyway. I blow everything out with air. Trace

Last edited:

shovelguy

So after reading your reply, made a quick trip to the local hardware store, paid 10 bucks for a brass nipple, came home installed it and all works fine, and the bride is happy, so I'm happy. We full time, so I never winterize so that won't be a problem. I owe you an adult beverage of your choice, should our paths cross down the road.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Okay, glad it worked for you. Trace

Last edited: