Spring Upgrade

creeper

My Lippert springs are looking kinda flat on my Bighorn. Has anyone gone from 6k springs to 6.5 k springs? Any issues?

wingfoot

I just replaced my axles on my 08' BH. I went from the OE 6,000# Lippert axles to Dexter 7,000#. I talked to the shop that does all my axle/spring work and he looked at my OE springs and did not recommend changing at this time. He went on to say, when I asked about the heavier springs, not to go any heavier on the springs. He said that it would/could affect the ride and you don't want too heavier springs. He also said if and when I do replace the springs not to go back with Lippert. He said a lot of the springs manufactured in China are just not up to par.
Good luck on your decision.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We upgraded last year... we were having some unusual tire wear, possibly a bent axle, and flatter springs. we read too much about Lippert steel, so we went with Dexter 7K axles (which included the hubs and brakes) and Emco 3500# 6-leaf springs. I "think" the rig handles better (DH does the driving) but I have a feeling it's a stiffer ride inside. Have noticed some items inside trying to migrate.

creeper

Thanks for the replies, I'm just thinking of going to a 6 leaf 6600lb set. The 4 leaf set I don't think is up to the task.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Creeper, when Lippert replaced the flat springs on our Horn. They installed 7K springs and did not seem to effect anything other than raising the coach about a 1/2".

Dragoon

Creeper, when Lippert replaced the flat springs on our Horn. They installed 7K springs and did not seem to effect anything other than raising the coach about a 1/2".

Ours were replaced under warranty by Lippert, also - same result. The 7k have held up well for the past 3 years with no issues. Still show the same arc as when installed. The Lippert tech was the one who recommended these when he saw the original. Guess they (Lippert) realized that original springs were not able to handle the weight of these rigs?