squeaky door

We are full timers and own a 2009 35rl Bighorn. The bathroom door has a nasty squeak in it, I have tried all the lubes you could think of, replaced the hinges and nothing works. Any ideas?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Check and see if you can get the hinge pins to come out. Use a small drift punch and a small hammer. If you can....put a lite coat of grease on them. On a RV door might be better to remove one hinge at a time as not damage the door or door jamb. The way I fix sqeaky door in my S/B,s.

mlpeloquin

Our Big Horn bathroom door also squeaks. I have not taken the time to fix it, but have looked at it. The hinges squeak do to alignment issues. None of the hinges are perpendicular to the door and jam. The binding is a great part of the cause. Eventually I am going to remove one at a time, drill out the mounting holes, glue in dowels, and drill new pilot holes to remount the hinges properly. So check the alignment of the door hinges.

wdk450

Our Big Horn bathroom door also squeaks. I have not taken the time to fix it, but have looked at it. The hinges squeak do to alignment issues. None of the hinges are perpendicular to the door and jam. The binding is a great part of the cause. Eventually I am going to remove one at a time, drill out the mounting holes, glue in dowels, and drill new pilot holes to remount the hinges properly. So check the alignment of the door hinges.

My Bighorn bathroom door never latched properly. I first spaced out the striker plate from the frame with machine nuts under the plate, then dug out the wood hole and tried to get the striker in the proper vertical position for the door latch. I finally had to re-hang the door up about 3/8 inch, and the door finally would latch reliably.

I am now having problems with my main entrance door squeaking. Lubricants don't seem to last long. I have used WD-40 and 3 in 1 Oil. I don't think the oil gets in well around the pins and top washers, and the pins are swaged at the bottom/top so that they can't be pulled out for lubrication. Any suggestions???

mlpeloquin

You can try removing one hinge at a time and try to work in white silicone grease like greasing a wheel bearing. Use rubber gloves.

Check and see if you can get the hinge pins to come out. Use a small drift punch and a small hammer. If you can....put a lite coat of grease on them. On a RV door might be better to remove one hinge at a time as not damage the door or door jamb. The way I fix sqeaky door in my S/B,s.

Don't think these types of pins will come out, good idea though. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Posters on other RV forums reported that TriFlow (brand) lubricant solved their squeaking hinge problems. https://www.triflowlubricants.com/

Thanks I will look into that

wdk450

I found some of the TriFlow lubricant at the local Ace Hardware store, although it was about $7 for a medium spray can. The results seem pretty good on the door hinge, though!!! Squeaks gone immediately, I didn't have to work the hinge to get it to penetrate.

mlpeloquin

I found some of the TriFlow lubricant at the local Ace Hardware store, although it was about $7 for a medium spray can. The results seem pretty good on the door hinge, though!!! Squeaks gone immediately, I didn't have to work the hinge to get it to penetrate.

TriFlow is great stuff and is also good in really high temperatures. It will dry out over two years or so. As it does it gets thick which is not bad for door squeaks. I used it to lubricant the inner working of a PCB reflow oven in one of my labs when I worked.

Zamora

Our door also squeaked and I later found that the one side of the pin was actually rubbing on the door itself. I took off the hinge and carefully sanded the area. After replacing the hinge the door no longer squeaked.