SRW Truck

mobilcastle

We are now fulltime and we pull about 16K-our Bighorn is rated max at 16K. I think your SRW will be overloaded. Advertising spec pin weights are way off. Good luck with your choice. I bet you will go back to the dually after you drive it a few times. JMHO.

crmfghtr

Well after much thought and input from others I decided to buy the Ford F350 Lariat 172" 4x4 SRW with all the goodies. The only thing I need to add is the clearance lights. Many dealers I found are ordering the SRW trucks without the clearance lights. You have to get the DRW for the lights. Anyway thanks everyone, se you on the road...

caissiel

I have the F250 with same or better spec rear springs and added 2 ply each side to help with ride and stability. Now I am more stable then the newer dualies.
But I tow a 15500 GVWR Big Country.

My cousin was telling me his F350 SRW was all over the road. I checked and he had one main ply broken on each side.
So protecting the main ply on these Ford for me is a must if loading them. My ride with the extra plies is still as good or better then the previous 2500 GM. When riding on the stock overloads it rides rough so I had to add one short ply to stay away from the overloads. I am under the GCWR for the truck that is registered for 13200 lbs.

crmfghtr

This truck has the 20" wheels load range "E" each tire says 3650 LBS so I think that will be ok. The rear axle is rated for 7000 LBS. This is the most expensive truck I have ever purchased. The dealer told me that 2016 will sport a new look and for that a price tag of $4000.00 more. Pretty soon these trucks will MSRP for $100,000.00 all this so we can enjoy life on the road.

Seren

First of all, as a newbie - what does "squatting" mean? I mean that after hitching the RV and then raising the front landing gear that the rear of all TVs will be lowered from the weight of the RV. I am in a similiar situation having a GMC Denali 3500 4x4 SRW CC towing a Landmark Grand Canyon for the past few months. Since I have never towed anything this large before, I have nothing to compare it to. So, I guess it is riding well, except of course when going over long conrete highway bridges and it starts bouncing up and down. Travelling on hills has been fine especially using cruise control and exhaust brakes.
I weighted it empty after buying it and had lots of room except for the rear axle, which I was 200 lbs under. I haven't weighted it since I loaded it
As far as the ride, what should I be looking (feeling) for that might be something I should be concern about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello All,

Wanted to share my experience as I just recently upgraded my truck and 5th wheel and it was an eye opening experience. Originally I pulled a 35 ft Grand junction trailer with a total gross weight around the 15,000 mark with my 2004 Ram 2500 4X4 truck. The truck was starting to get old so I upgraded to a 2014 Ram 3500 (SRW) mega cab 4X4 which pulled the trailer just fine. Well one day not so long ago, the wife wanted to look at “ newer" trailers and we ran across a super clean 2014 Rushmore at an amazing deal. I looked at the numbers and it appeared to make sense on paper, almost to the point that I started to convince myself. Well after a week of talking it over with the wife and how she loved the trailer, and how much nicer it was then the Grand Junction we purchased the Rushmore. We completed the walk through inspection and I hooked the trailer to the truck and was I surprised at how the truck squatted under the weight of the trailer. The data tag indicated a total Gross weight of 16,250 and the Heartland specs indicated pin weight of 2700 lbs. Well the first outing I wanted to stop by a CAT scale to get an idea of the total weigh and low behold that trailer is really heavy. Total truck and trailer weight is 23040, which is still within my GCVW of 25,000 lbs however I was within 100 lbs of the max 7000 lb of the rear axle GAWR. The truck pulls the trailer fine, but just as AZBIGFOOT is doing we are moving as much weight from the storage bay to the rear of the trailer to pull some of the weight off the truck and the tires. I have looked at the possibility of upgrading the truck to a 3500 DRW but can't afford to take the hit on the truck. We are going to have to cognizant of the weight when traveling and travel with as much loaded towards the rear of the trailer as possible. Oh Yeah, just added air bags to the rear to level out the bed as is the trailer was almost riding on the bump stops.

Best advise buy a bigger truck then you need as no one ever complains about buying too much truck.

jimtoo

Hello All,

Wanted to share my experience as I just recently upgraded my truck and 5th wheel and it was an eye opening experience. Originally I pulled a 35 ft Grand junction trailer with a total gross weight around the 15,000 mark with my 2004 Ram 2500 4X4 truck. The truck was starting to get old so I upgraded to a 2014 Ram 3500 (SRW) mega cab 4X4 which pulled the trailer just fine. Well one day not so long ago, the wife wanted to look at “ newer" trailers and we ran across a super clean 2014 Rushmore at an amazing deal. I looked at the numbers and it appeared to make sense on paper, almost to the point that I started to convince myself. Well after a week of talking it over with the wife and how she loved the trailer, and how much nicer it was then the Grand Junction we purchased the Rushmore. We completed the walk through inspection and I hooked the trailer to the truck and was I surprised at how the truck squatted under the weight of the trailer. The data tag indicated a total Gross weight of 16,250 and the Heartland specs indicated pin weight of 2700 lbs. Well the first outing I wanted to stop by a CAT scale to get an idea of the total weigh and low behold that trailer is really heavy. Total truck and trailer weight is 23040, which is still within my GCVW of 25,000 lbs however I was within 100 lbs of the max 7000 lb of the rear axle GAWR. The truck pulls the trailer fine, but just as AZBIGFOOT is doing we are moving as much weight from the storage bay to the rear of the trailer to pull some of the weight off the truck and the tires. I have looked at the possibility of upgrading the truck to a 3500 DRW but can't afford to take the hit on the truck. We are going to have to cognizant of the weight when traveling and travel with as much loaded towards the rear of the trailer as possible. Oh Yeah, just added air bags to the rear to level out the bed as is the trailer was almost riding on the bump stops.

Best advise buy a bigger truck then you need as no one ever complains about buying too much truck.

Looks like the spec weights your quoting from Heartland are what is posted on the web site. Those are average totally empty weights before any options are added. The unit should have a yellow sticker on the door frame with the actual weights as it rolled out the door of the plant.

danemayer

The data tag indicated a total Gross weight of 16,250 and the Heartland specs indicated pin weight of 2700 lbs.
Hi silver_2000_tj,

Our 2011 Rushmore is heavily loaded and has washer/dryer up front along with the Onan Generator. Our pin weight was 3700 last June. If you're ok on payload, airbags may help level things.

Jim.Allison

Your rig will walk and talk. My SRW 2500 uses airbags to level. But combined weight is well within specs, you are good with the 3500. An airbag install is a thirty minute job. If you want them get them. More than anything they smooth the ride of the Ram truck when empty, level the load when loaded. 8 psi unloaded 25 psi loaded. rides like a Lincoln. Pulls like a Freightliner.

Yes the air bags level it out, however I'm pretty much maxing out the rear axles rated limit of 7000 lbs, and more importantly getting very close to exceeding the rear tires max rating of 3640 per tire, or combined total weight rating of 7280. Being within 300 lbs of the tires max rating with me and the dog in the truck alone is not a comfortable feeling doing 65 down the highway. (The trailer does have the stacked washer and drier, but I'm kind of thankful that it does not have the genset.)