Stain"less" steel sinks?

ChopperBill

We have stains in our stainless :confused: steel sink that were there since it was new. Cant get 'em out. Used all kinds of stainless steel products with no results. "Eraser" says not to use on stainless steel. Didnt try it. Renee thinks it could be from the anti-freeze when they winterized it. Seems odd that anything would stain "stainless" steel. For the record I had stainless steel sinks in the house we own 25 years ago. I hated them and put in porcelain.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I clean our stains-less sinks at home with baking soda. Wet the sink, sprinkle a generous amount around and work it with a dish cloth, then rinse.

ChopperBill

Came up with half a solution. Put one of the sink covers over one side. Cant see stains on one side. :) Could put both on but would be kind of inconvenient. Will try baking soda. Dont have any here now.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
DW uses Bon Ami and Bar Keepers Friend we get at the Dollar Store. They both work great and she has gotten out stains with them both.

How about some "Flitz" metal polish? I would even go so far as to try a fine grade of wet/dry sandpaper. Depending on the sinks original finish, determine what grade to use. 400 grit should be OK.

If you have to resort to polishing them with anything, pick up what's called a blending pad at a metal shop or from someone that works stainless also remember to keep a light coat of oil in them when your done. The stainless used in these sinks (and most household sinks these days) is not of the quality that is used in restaurant kitchens or commercial grade stainless, the lower grade stainless has to be kept lightly oiled and can be subject to staining. Also when you use the blending pad remember to polish it with the grain NOT across the grain.

lwmcguir

Remember, do not use any type of cleaner that has Chlorine or a chlorine donor in it. Your sink will rust in front of your eyes.

ChopperBill

Remember, do not use any type of cleaner that has Chlorine or a chlorine donor in it. Your sink will rust in front of your eyes.

You suppose those stains could be from when I sanatized the fresh system with bleach then? They are not rust just a darker spot. You can see they are positioned right where water from the faucet would run to the bottom of the sink.

lwmcguir

Any free chlorine or halogen product will work wonders on low grade stainless steel. Free chlorine in the water will do it. Best to keep the chlorine down to 0.5 ppm and it wont bother the SS much.