Stapled or Dove Tail

I am wagon master and just got back from SOB 5 day rally in Kerrville, TX. While there I saw a new unit (SOB) and noticed what use to be dove tail joints (our current rig) are now stapled.

Stopped by a dealer and saw my first 2018 3270rs Bighorn. I see they also are using staples in place of dove tail. Were the drawers at one time dove tail? What happened to "Amish Craftsmanship"?

Going tomorrow to look at a 3160el. This could be the one!

Last edited:

kab449

Hi Curtis:
My 2017 3160EL has all stapled drawers. They are pretty solid though.
Did you look at the 3160EL you mentioned? We really like the floorplan. The laundry/Pantry closet in the kitchen is a feature we like a lot.

SNOKING

I am wagon master and just got back from SOB 5 day rally in Kerrville, TX. While there I saw a new unit (SOB) and noticed what use to be dove tail joints (our current rig) are now stapled.

Stopped by a dealer and saw my first 2018 3270rs Bighorn. I see they also are using staples in place of dove tail. Were the drawers at one time dove tail? What happened to "Amish Craftsmanship"?

We really like the butlers pantry area in the front of the kitchen in our BH3575el. Take a peak at that model also if they have one. Chris

Gary521

I could be mistaken but they are probably stapled by Amish. Actually, mine have held up well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I can say for a fact that the 2009 BH3670 did not have dovetailed drawer boxes. But none of mine have failed, either. Properly glued and stapled, the joints should hold up.

You know the BH as a whole really seems to be a step above. It is hard to look at this price point and get excited, but HL BH has got it goin on with all their FPs.

We are pricing out a 3160 and have our current rig for sale. Anyone looking for a nice Open Range?

BigGuy82

I'm sure the Amish craftsmen used non-electric staplers and placed the staples squarely and tightly while perfectly aligning all drawer parts.

On a serious note, do the drawers look good? Seem sturdy? Craftsmanship can be evident regardless of the construction method. If the stapled parts start to pull apart a little, a dab of wood glue will make them tough as nails.

Good luck on selecting your new rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk