Stiff suspension Towing Rig

caissiel

When using air bags, its importent to have the spring plies tight and holding most of the load so as the Axle will not pivot. I see 1/2 Tons with 5th wheels and the bags are inflated to 60/80 Lbs. The springs are light and I can bet the ride sure is neck breaking. My 1st 5th wheel was light and I pulled it with a 1/4Ton Ranger, added a spring leaf and the ride still was shaky with axle twisting at the springs. Later I hooked a 1/2 ton Chev on the same trailer and since it had a same amount of spring leafs the ride still had a shake in it. So with better Spring on a 3/4Ton and twice as heavy trailer the ride improved.

lwmcguir

I am in a quandry so I will turn to any of you that may have an answer to this question, about soft but firm suspension in my tow truck. I thought I was buying the right suspension and springs in my new 2008 Ford F-250 6.4 dual cab diesel last year. The ride even with lowering tire pressure is bumpy and stiff to say the least. I ordered the truck with camping and towing suspension, bought the Mohr/Ryde hitch pin cushion, the pullrite super glide 18K and I still have a rough and bumpy ride unless the road is smooth as silk. It's not the clunking, but rather with my bad back, I need a smooth ride, with and without towing the rig. I have traveled with many of my fellow Heartlanders in their TV and it's like driving a car. I can see my knees shaking, and I have followed every instruction for the least bouncy ride. Some friends tell me to go to a special suspension or spring shop, and have the Ford ride softened so that I can enjoy the ride. Or is it as I suspect, the Ford Super duty itself, that always rides rough? My DW and I were in Arthur LaMontagne's truck and I never felt anything. Does it have to do with the dual cab or the tires? I am at my wits end and would like any and all solutions to my problem, the less expensive the better. I would be very upset if I have to sell the Ford for a Dodge, GMC or Chevy, as the depreciation would be enormous, but I am in a quagmire. Tell me truck gurus, if you were in my shoes, what actions would u take. And yes I have air bags in my truck as well. I do have only 19,000 miles on it so is their a breaking in period for a smoother ride?

Curious as to what you have done at this point. We changed out the pin to the 5th Airborne and it dampened out the road cracks quite a bit. Installed the Trail Air on the camper and it rides great.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
The reason the Ford rides rougher is because it is a REAL truck not a wanna be :):)
Exactly why I bought a truck, to haul huge loads without breaking the suspension or frame and that comes with a REAL truck. You can buy trucks that ride great but will not haul what you need. I think the seats are the best solution for making a better ride.

wyleyrabbit

My truck seems like a real truck. It tows like a real truck. It drinks diesel like a real truck. ;) And it gets more lustful looks from the young and old alike. :cool:

Is it a fake truck? :eek:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi, I am looking into changing my pullrite superglide hitch for a trailer saver which has 2 airbags. I am also talking to Deaver mfg, a 100 yr old company that specializes in smoothing out rough suspensions for a smoother but safe drive. I would also like to look at some air ride seats but can't find the right website. But of course, I will have to scrounge up the dough to pay for all these upgrades smoother rides. Any more suggestions, I am an open book.

Curious as to what you have done at this point. We changed out the pin to the 5th Airborne and it dampened out the road cracks quite a bit. Installed the Trail Air on the camper and it rides great.

CrazyScotsman

The wheel base has a lot to do with the ride also, the longer the wheel base the better the ride.
I know on my F350,I think it has 172" wheel base and for a pickup, it rides fairly smooth, a lot smoother than my DW Pontiac GTP compG with beefed up sports suspension, that car is like riding in an old lumber truck. Oh well she wanted it .
So just maybe that friends truck you rode in had a longer wheelbase.
JMHO