"Storm" door for screen door

jrzygrl64

Hello again!

I've been wondering - we have a screen door on our 2014 Landmark, Grand Canyon, I'm sure like everyone else. Is there a "storm" door type thing we can get or make so that we can have our door open without it being an open screen? Friends of ours have SOB (Lifestyle) and it seems like almost the exact same door and they have flexible panels that fit over the screens and they are attached by "thumb latches".

Any assistance anyone can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Kelly

Birchwood

We have the storm door type on our Landmark and it allows us to leave the door open with our A/C when in FL.
We usually remove the panels (acrylic) when we return to New Brunswick.

Geodude

I've done this on every trailer we have, and am about to do it on our new Bighorn. I make a template using a large piece of paper or cardboard then have a local plastics shop cut a piece of Lexan. Depending on the door it can press fit into grooves or can be mounted with Velcro. You can get different thicknesses, depending on how much room you have to play with.

Westwind

Our Bighorn is the second RV that we have made the plastic panels for the screen door so we can have the door open when the AC or Furnace is on. My wife likes the open door effect and I can't say I blame her. I bought the Lexan sheets at Home Depot, cut out a cardboard pattern and then transferred the shaped area to the Lexan, I used a straight edge and a cutter I got at HD and my scroll saw to curve the top piece. Broke the first piece that needed to be cut but the second was successful.

bigdob24

I have done this on the last two RVs and just took the door off and hauled it to the local glass company .
About $50 did the job .
I never had much luck cutting plexiglass so just let the pros do it.
Used 1/8 " material and it fits right in the grooves on the inside of the door for easy removal. I just take the top piece out and always leave the bottom in place.
Works great for heat or air

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There was a topic thread here about this very subject about a year ago, and there is a company that makes these that was discussed.

Matter of fact, last summer I was at the local Camping World and they were having a big shindig that day (BBQ in the parking lot, freebies and lots of vendors there), and there was a booth that had these doors there.

I don't remember the name of the company, but I'll see if I can find a link to their website.

Munruben

I am curious if there is a security version to replace the screen door with? We like to sleep with the door open but feel unsafe that we can't lock it? Any ideas??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am curious if there is a security version to replace the screen door with? We like to sleep with the door open but feel unsafe that we can't lock it? Any ideas??
You might want to install a couple of these [LINK]. They come in several different sizes, (length).
You might have to change the eye part of the hook with an eye bolt to put in the screen door.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

Lexan or acrylic are easy to cut on the table saw. Just use a fine tooth blade with the teeth turned backwards. I don't use the material for storm door effect but to keep the dog from pushing out the screen. I mount it with velcro.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We buy Plexiglas from the local Home Depot or Lowes. For the width, most places will cut it for you but they will not touch the radius. We also make the template of the upper radius, mark the plexiglas and use a scoring knife to make the radius grooves. With needle nose pliers, carefully snap the scored glass. Then slightly flex the plexiglas, slipping it into the grooves of the door. We wanted to have tinted Lexan but didn't have luck finding it so we took the door to an auto detailing place who tinted it for us.
screen door tinted 6-'15.jpg

Bob Vaughn

I made my own...I measured my openings then went to lowes and they cut them for me....for the radius corners I used my table belt sander to make them...I used mirror clips to hold them in place. I also put a window sash lock on the screen to keep the dogs from making a break for it when they see something they want to chase. Should I want to to tint the panels I can remove them and just buy a roll of tint and do it myself....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We bought some smoke colored lexan cut it to size and installed it in the door using velcro. Works great and easy to remove if needed.

My husband did the same install. He went to Lowes and bought the Lexan. Had it cut to width, cut the radius with his Dremel tool and press fitted it into the groove. We initially tinted it with do it yourself window tint but it made the inside too dark (it's too dark already and this made it like a cave) so I took it off. I was told by an expert that you cannot clean Lexan or any polycarbonate with Windex...be sure to use a cleaner that is safe for polycarbonate. I use Sparkle which I got at Ace Hardware.

Gaffer

Another thing to consider is that Lexan (polycarbonate) is not generally UV stable and will yellow over time. Acrylic does not do that.