Strange Ceiling Light Behavior

When I turned on the four kitchen ceiling lights the other day, (one switch) two of the four failed to light. This is brand new unit! I haven't got a ladder long enough to reach them, so I haven't done anything about them yet. I mention this only because it may, or my not, have a bearing on a new curiosity. Yesterday morning, and every time since, when I turn on the four living room ceiling lights (one switch) there is a delay of two to three seconds before they come on.

Thoughts, anyone?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things that I would check, although you may be pretty limited without a ladder.
I would pull the switches out and be sure that all the connections are good there. It is not all that uncommon to have a wire come out of a connector.
Then I would pull the light fixtures out and check all the wiring there.
Let us know what is found.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you are in a park, maybe you could ask a neighbor to use there ladder. I am going to have to replace to bulbs in my kitchen today.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Winterbird, I had that same symptom of a delay before the lights come on in our bathroom light. I replaced the switch and that solved the problem.

wdk450

I don't believe this thread should be in the "120 volt AC" section of the General Heartland Electrical section of the forum. Isn't ALL Heartland ceiling lighting (except the ceiling fan light) 12 volt D.C.? I didn't post this so much for the thread formalities but rather so the original poster would realize that this is a 12 volt DC circuit, not 110 Volt AC.

danemayer

I don't believe this thread should be in the "120 volt AC" section of the General Heartland Electrical section of the forum. Isn't ALL Heartland ceiling lighting (except the ceiling fan light) 12 volt D.C.? I didn't post this so much for the thread formalities but rather so the original poster would realize that this is a 12 volt DC circuit, not 110 Volt AC.

Most of our lights are 12V, but we have 2 fixtures that I believe are 110V; one in a fixture over the kitchen and the other in the fan. But your point is taken and I've moved the thread to the 12V area.

Well, yesterday afternoon I cut the power, took the switch out of the wall and checked all the connections. everything was tight. Restored power and closed the switch. No lights---10 seconds---20 seconds---never took more than 6 seconds before---30 seconds---LIGHTS! Remounted the switch in the wall, closed it, INSTANT LIGHTS! Switch has consistently worked properly through several tests yesterday and again this morning, so the problem appears to be solved. However I will replace the switch as soon as it's practical to do so.

Thanks for all the helpful responses, especially Dave & Ray.

Bob