"Stratapore" filters

porthole

Retired
Stratapore filters

So, more then once this has come up about how great these are with no links to explain.

I did some searching and finally found that this "special" filter media is a Fleetguard item. Fleetguard appears to have been bought by Cummins and is now found on the Cumminsfiltraition.com website.
There are documents and videos to explain what "stratopore" is on the Cummins site.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/innovation/technology/stratapore.html

Fleetguard are among the best filters made and regardless that hey are a Cummins company now still make filters for the rest of us.

But, the statapore media filters are not available for the "other" 6.7 crowd, Ford diesels.

Email reply from my inquiry to Cummins.

Thank you for contacting us using FleetMaster. The LF17494 does not contain StrataPore media. I do not show a StrataPore version of this filter. Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything else. Thanks again and have a great day!

Carrie
Filtration Technical Assistance

If we have misunderstood the information in your communication or you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing fleetmaster.us@cummins.com or call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST at 1-800-22FILTER (1-800-223-4583). If you are located outside of North America, you can reach us at 615-871-5100.

Visit us at www.cummins.com or www.cumminsfiltration.com

-------Original Message-------
To: fleetmaster.us@cummins.com
Cc:
Subject: Fleetguard Stratopore

Fleetmaster US,
Duane Clause <porthole@optonline.net>
Telephone: 7326846203
Fax:
Company: DTC Services, LLc
Address: 1607 Randolph Way
Wall, New Jersey 07719
United States

Hello,

Is the Ford 6.78L LF17494 a "stratopore" type lube filter?

Thank,s
Duane

porthole

Retired
Re: Stratapore filters

Well at least the magical tape measure doesn't work for me :rolleyes:, nor the rest of the 6.7 "Ford" group. And it is not a bypass filter. Actually, if you would like a clear description on this filter, the link above has a pretty good demo.

(if you want to know what the magical tape measure is you can PM)

I responded back to Cummins Filtration requesting info specifically for the Ford 2011+ 6.7.
I'll post the response when I get it.

mzcummins

Fleetguard has been Cummins for awhile

Look into the amsoil ea filters or donaldson endurance filters, both are very good filters better then Fleetguard imo

Last edited:

mzcummins

Better filtration, the amsoil ea and donaldson oil filters are a 15 mic at 98.7% efficiency vs the fleetguard stratapore's 25 mic or the standard fleetguard at 35 microns also the donaldson fuel filter and w/s has better rating then fleetguard, I can't remember the exact numbers but I looked for a long time for fuel filters when I added more/extra filtration to my truck, don't get me wrong fleetguard makes great filters just giving you more options.

porthole

Retired

Better filtration, the amsoil ea and donaldson oil filters are a 15 mic at 98.7% efficiency vs the fleetguard stratapore's 25 mic or the standard fleetguard at 35 microns also the donaldson fuel filter and w/s has better rating then fleetguard, I can't remember the exact numbers but I looked for a long time for fuel filters when I added more/extra filtration to my truck, don't get me wrong fleetguard makes great filters just giving you more options.

Links? Tests? Verifications?
Just saying Amsoil, Donaldson, Dahl etc are better without details is the same as saying Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc are better then Royal Purple, Red line et all..

Fleetguard cummins web site is poor and I found no mention of their micron rating for lube filters.

Too fine of a filter media can be just as bad as too great.

Fleetguard touts their "Venturi Combo" as the next best thing - but they have a limited market for it, same as the Stratopore stuff.

mzcummins

Links? Tests? Verifications?
Just saying Amsoil, Donaldson, Dahl etc are better without details is the same as saying Amsoil, Mobil 1 etc are better then Royal Purple, Red line et all..

Fleetguard cummins web site is poor and I found no mention of their micron rating for lube filters.

Too fine of a filter media can be just as bad as too great.

Fleetguard touts their "Venturi Combo" as the next best thing - but they have a limited market for it, same as the Stratopore stuff.

It's all over the forums, as you said it's kinda hard to get a straight answer from the manufacturer and google is a powerful tool but here is one talking about oil filters for the cummins

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2329175/Re:_Best_filter_for_Cummins?

The synthetic media of today filters better at a higher flow, it's not like the cheap paper filters, both amsoil/donaldson's nanofiber and fleetguard's stratopore are great examples of that.