Stuff Made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BouseBill

"I'm not politically correct" Gosh, I guess there are two of us on this forum.:D:D

My comment about the "Chinese space station:? Humor did not come through???? LOL

danemayer

Folks,

A few years ago when a California company was shipping contaminated produce that was making people sick, we didn't bash all California products and imply that everything from California is contaminated.

When a Texas ice cream company turned out contaminated products that were making people sick, we didn't bash all Texas products and imply that everything from Texas would make you sick.

When a Georgia company was shipping peanut butter that was killing people, we didn't say that all Georgia companies were greedy and untrustworthy.

When Ford decided to save a buck on Pinto gas tank shields knowing there would be loss of life, did we say that all U.S. cars companies make dangerous junk?

When Firestone tires were failing and people were dying in Ford Explorers, did that justify saying that everything made in Illinois is junk? Or that all Firestone tires are junk. Or that all Fords are junk.

GMC erred by not issuing a recall on ignition switches a few years ago. Should I use that as evidence that all GMC trucks are junk?

In all of those situations, there were individuals and companies at fault, and we blamed them. We didn't denigrate everything coming out of those states or out of those companies.

So is a company in China makes lousy tires or lousy steel, it's fine to say so. And if you find an American made product that you think is better, it's fine to say so.

But it's not right to denigrate 1.3 billion people, every company, and all of China because you can point to some lousy products.

That's not asking for political correctness. It's just basic fairness.

Lynn1130

The difference I see with those examples is that most, if not all, were a one time action by companies that have, as a general rule, and for many years made quality products. On top of that if they were criminal with their actions, the U.S. took civil/criminal actions. Try that with a business from China.

No one is trying to "denigrate" 1.3 billion people, nor is the criticism about a race of people. It is, however, a statement on the overall quality of product coming out of a country. China is not the only country importing questionable products some of which endanger humans.

I fly RC aircraft and over the last 10 years almost everything related to RC has not so slowly become imported from China. There are some very good products but I am sorry to say most are less than quality and it is difficult if not impossible to communicate with companies from China unless they happen to be sold/backed by a U.S. company (Tower Hobbies etc) and unless a U.S. company has rewritten the instruction for whatever the equipment is, it is laughable, trying to put these things together and/or operate them.

I think we are being fair. As a general rule products from some countries are not up to our standards. Not just China, but they seem be sending us most of them and as I said before many are our inventions that they have reverse engineered. EXAMPLE: I can purchase many Kenwood Ham radio accessories (Japanese) on Amazon or Ebay that are not Kenwood, say they are not Kenwood but are knockoffs and are garbage. I have tried some of them. That is not the only knockoffs coming out of China.

rick-99

Something that is getting lost in the dialog here is the fact that the Chinese government is interfering with the open global market. The issue is when a government provides currency manipulations or subsidized production costs to enable segments of their economy to flood the market with materials at below cost prices. This provides greedy and unscrupulous companies the ability to use less expensive materials to increase their margins despite increased quality issues.

This has nothing to do with bashing the people who live and work in these countries, they are trying to earn a living also. But it does have a lot to do when the above practices interfere with the ability of all the people in the other countries of the open market to do the same. It is easy to generalize and say Chinese or Japanese when it is governments and corporate greed in action.

Enough for now.

Lynn1130

Yes, I thought of that and did not want to open that bucket of worms but no company in China operates without the permission of the Chinese government. The other item that I did not bring up but will now anyway is the seizure of our ships and planes and the addition of our technology into their "invention" process. There are things on our ships and planes that are light years ahead of theirs, and most other government/technology that they have stolen and incorporated into their "inventions". There is "blackops" stuff out their that is ours that would blow your mind. They steal it at every chance. That's why the world is full of spooks.

brianlajoie

The basic fairness justification is flawed. For every one of the problems with a US company there was recourse through the court system to remedy the problem. Does this happen with Chinese products and companies? I don't think so. Just look at almost everyone of us that had to buy new tires for our trailer because the Chinese made ones were defective. In my opinion the Chinese company tried to cheat us by saying the tires could support the weight of our trailers.

The other big problem I have is that China will do whatever it takes to lie, cheat and steal to make a product that can be sold. Are their products generally improving? Of coarse they are - they sole every they needed from some one else to make the product. Ever been to China where they scanned your laptop and copied everything in it?

When it come to my purchases, I choose to not by Chinese products if I can find something made anywhere else - even if it costs a little more. To me its about basis fairness.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
But it's not right to denigrate 1.3 billion people, every company, and all of China because you can point to some lousy products.

That's not asking for political correctness. It's just basic fairness.

Why exactly do we need to be wary of political correctness or basic fairness with a foreign country exactly? Don't we have enough of that getting out of hand in our own country? China is famous for shipping junk to this country for our use. It is not a secret. Just because a few companies may be manufacturing a decent product now does not erase their substandard production habits.

Each of the American companies you listed felt a huge backlash from the people in this country and to think that their entire state did not suffer from those mishaps is not accurate. Case in point, I still will not buy a fire stone tire, ever. I am on the "will not buy chinese products whenever possible" float myself. Everyone should be purchasing products made in the USA anyway IMO.

Gary521

I seem to recall that the Chinese government Is still Communistic and has a sterling record of Human rights activities. Do you remember Tiananmen Square? I guess that this is OK a long as the springs fit on your RV. I have no issues with the Chinese people or even Chinese products ( some of them ) but I could care less If someone in China is offended for a little product bashing. Do you really think that the Chinese government cares about us? They are still supporting that Little Fat guy up North who wants to send a Nuke down your chimney.

Kbvols

Best of Both Worlds.....Chinese Food!! . Yes .....Made in America by Chinese and/or Chinese Americans...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SNOKING

The difference I see with those examples is that most, if not all, were a one time action by companies that have, as a general rule, and for many years made quality products. On top of that if they were criminal with their actions, the U.S. took civil/criminal actions. Try that with a business from China.

No one is trying to "denigrate" 1.3 billion people, nor is the criticism about a race of people. It is, however, a statement on the overall quality of product coming out of a country. China is not the only country importing questionable products some of which endanger humans.

I fly RC aircraft and over the last 10 years almost everything related to RC has not so slowly become imported from China. There are some very good products but I am sorry to say most are less than quality and it is difficult if not impossible to communicate with companies from China unless they happen to be sold/backed by a U.S. company (Tower Hobbies etc) and unless a U.S. company has rewritten the instruction for whatever the equipment is, it is laughable, trying to put these things together and/or operate them.

I think we are being fair. As a general rule products from some countries are not up to our standards. Not just China, but they seem be sending us most of them and as I said before many are our inventions that they have reverse engineered. EXAMPLE: I can purchase many Kenwood Ham radio accessories (Japanese) on Amazon or Ebay that are not Kenwood, say they are not Kenwood but are knockoffs and are garbage. I have tried some of them. That is not the only knockoffs coming out of China.

Where do you fly? I fly in the Mesa Bowls during the winter months! Chris

avvidclif

Not brought up yet but a big part of the problem is China does not recognize our patents or copyrights. They can build whatever they want without fear of being sued for patent/copyright infringement. And their government supports that position.

Lynn1130

Just a point in geography:
They are still supporting that Little Fat guy up North who wants to send a Nuke down your chimney.
The little fat guy is south of China and north of South Korea :)
Where do you fly? I fly in the Mesa Bowls during the winter months! Chris

AMPS. South of 43rd Ave and Pinnacle Peak. I am on the NW side of town.

B

BouseBill

If this forum is going to turn into a politically correct all must think the same, speech police environment, then I'm out. So long, Adios, sayonara, and in Chinese...Zaijian.

wdk450

I think that this thread has run its course and is turning too political. Time to close it.

Lynn1130

If this forum is going to turn into a politically correct all must think the same, speech police environment

I don't see that at all. What I see here is a healthy exchange of thoughts and ideas. Granted, this Site can regulate speech however they like, but no one is name calling or demanding that we all follow their way of thinking.

I think that this thread has run its course and is turning too political. Time to close it.

I really don't see "politics" in this one either.

Status
Not open for further replies.