Suburban 12 gallon heater question

Bobby A

I had my water heater replaced 3 or 4 month ago after my old one finally bit the dust after 6 years of full time use. I've notice that when I have the propane and electric on at the same time for a quicker recovery time that water drips from the pressure relief valve, not sure how long it lasts but I was wondering if this is normal ?? Thanks very much.

jbeletti

Bobby - I believe the Pressure Relieve Valve opens at it's specific temperature rating. When heating on Electric and Propane, perhaps you're not using the water fast enough to continue mixing cold water in the heater tank and it simply opens up - doing it's job.

Guessing here but possible causes could be a weak Pressure Relief Valve or Thermostat. Others may (likely will) know more about what the cause may be.

GWRam

Bobby,
I copied this from the HUG suburban manual. You may just need to re-establish the air pocket in the water heater. This excerpt tells you how.
I would have attached this as a link but I don't know how to do that so here is the whole text.

WATER WEEPING OR DRIPPING FROM PRESSURE
RELIEF VALVE
You may experience water weeping or dripping from your water heater’s Pressure
and Temperature (P & T) Relief Valve when your water heater is operating. Water
weeping or dripping from the P & T Valve does not always mean the P & T Valve
is defective. As water is heated, it expands. The water system in a recreational
vehicle is a closed system and does not allow for the expansion of heated water.
When the pressure of the water system exceeds the relieving point of the P & T
Valve, the valve will relieve the excess pressure.
Suburban recommends that a check valve not be installed directly at the inlet to
the water heater tank. This will increase weeping of the pressure relief valve.
WARNING! Do not remove or plug the relief valve.
One way to reduce the frequency of this occurrence is to maintain an air pocket
at the top of the water heater tank. This air pocket will form in the tank by design.
However, it will be reduced over time by the everyday use of your water heater.
To replenish this air pocket:
Turn off water heater.
Turn off cold water supply line.
Open a faucet in the RV.
Pull out on the handle of the Pressure Relief (P & T) Valve and allow water to
flow from the valve until it stops.
Release handle on P & T Valve - it should snap closed.
. Close faucet and turn on cold water supply; as the tank fills, the air pocket
will develop.
Repeat this procedure as often as needed to reduce the frequency of the weeping
of the P & T Valve. If the weeping persists after following this procedure, you may
elect to install an expansion or accumulator tank in the cold water line between
the tank and check valve to relieve the pressure caused by thermal expansion.
Contact your local dealer for assistance.

Lynn1130

I found, in a previous trailer, that this would happen more often at a high altitude and the shop tech told me pretty much what is printed above to stop it.

Bobby A

Thank you all for replying to my thread and thanks to GWRam for doing all that typing, I did try that procedure so I will see how that works. I've been dealing with a dead awning motor that's why it took so long for me to respond. Thanks again,

JanAndBill

Very seldom use anything but electric on ours. I've noticed that the weep generally starts after its been on for awhile without any use. I had a suspicion that this might be the source of the problem. Anyone know where to get and how to install the expansion tank?

mlpeloquin