Suggestions needed for frozen fresh water tank

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Believe it or not, when I did mine that way I got better air flow in the coach and tested the heat coming out of the underbelly duct. It was a warm as the temps inside. You will also find that your floor will be warmer with heater on.

ParkIt

I'll give that a try because it sounds like it would work pretty well - and after tracing down all lines/hoses, the "intake" which is usually at the top of the cabinets is just a louver face to an empty space behind the UDC. I could use that space as an additional large drawer under the pantry. There are better places to put an intake that don't require *that* much room!

Just the insulation we put in so far had the unit at 67º today when it was 32º outside running just the fireplace heater and a small space heater in the bedroom. I wonder what that will do in summer when it hits upper 90's for a month.

Yeah, it happened. Never happened before but I think we hit too many low temps and it seems the heating straps put on this summer didn't hold up.
I've kept a small space heater in storage space with the panel off the side so it was open to the underbelly (behind the UDC) and its stayed warm which might have 'tricked' the strips into not working...not really sure on that one. Checked it last night before going to bed, water was running, had the tank heater on and was getting hot water with good flow and no leaking.
Pump and all lines are fine so it has to be the tank 2/3 full of fresh water. Nope, no hose hooked up to the UDC which is why the tank has water in it.

So, with that huge blunder now I have to figure out how to thaw the tank though I haven't had time to take off the underbelly sheath or coreplast. I'm wondering if I boxed in the area under the rig where the tanks are and set a small heater in there to let it warm up slowly if I can save the tank and any longer lines running to it. Dumped water down the commode and kitchen sink or Smart Water Tank in Pakistan...listening I can hear it running into the holding tanks no problem, pulled the levers and they drain. No leaking/dripping so far but I think its too cold for that so I wouldn't be able to see any water running out and the decking in the storage area is dry.

My best guess is to enclose the area below the tanks and run a space heater unless anyone has a better thought on that one.

*headdesk*
We are planning our first Winter trip from PA to FL this December. I plan to prime my black and grey tanks with anti-freeze. What do folks do to keep the fresh water from freezing? I'm not planning on connecting the ice maker until we reach warmer climes. I'm assuming the pipes will be ok based on the normal furnace. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We have a Winnebago Sightseer 33C.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just keep my rig winterized and use gallon jugs of water for all of our needs.
I dewinterize once we reach warmer climates.
I do not add antifreeze to the tanks.

Peace
Dave