Sun shades on awnings

NYSUPstater

Just another question (probly of many forthcoming), but was wondering if it's possible to add sunshades to electric awnings? On our current coach, it has a 21' manual awning and we attach a 6' drop sun shade to it, then support the bottom w/ poles to extend it out further and use strings as guide rope to keep poles in place. Anyways, w/ the manual awnings, you have the lower arms to support the awning against the base of the RV. With the elect ones, no such arms. So would the additional weight from the shade be too much for electric awning? If so, will let the shade we have go w/ the coach. On the other hand, if not, how the heck do you lower it enough to attach/slide it into the tube?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaffer

Check out Vista Shade. A 24" section goes into the groove on the bottom of the awning and stays there. An 8' section zips onto it to reach the ground. There is an end section that can be used on either end. I have both and are easy to install, set up and take down.

http://www.shadepro.net/product/Shade_Drops/rv_awning_electric_awning_shade_drop.html

vistasideelectric01_thumb.jpg

'Lil Guy'

I also have the 24" screen mounted in my awning. Very easy to attach the drop. How does the side panel attach and release. Not clear about what I read. Don't see how it could be done from the ground.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we use sun shades with the electric awnings but we do take them down before closing the awning.
SE Reg Rally 2016.jpg
To get the shades on, I use the tie downs to lower the awning until I can start threading the shade into the tube tracking.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We have one like Nabo and too tie down the awning from time to time. I do however roll the sun shade up with the awning overnight or while we're gone. I remove it for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWade2

We've had a sun shade for many years. It is great! You can see thru it and really cuts down the sun! We heartily recommend it. We got ours directly from the manufacturer in San Diego area.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have one like Nabo and too tie down the awning from time to time. I do however roll the sun shade up with the awning overnight or while we're gone. I remove it for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing with our Patty-o-Shade. There isn't a lot of weight to it and it rolls up with the awning.

yport

IMHO ... the absolute best place to get your sunscreens is from Beasley, Mfg. They run out of a warehouse outside of Orlando and have a terrific selection with by far the best price you'll find around. Bought a 16'er x 7' for $77 ... as well as 16' x 8' (2 4'ers to adjust width easily) floor mat for $36. The word of them has spread around Florida campgrounds like wildflower and they do a booming business. Sooo much cheaper than places like Camping World. Excellent quality in the sunscreens with 5 grommets across the bottom.

http://www.beasleyrvsunshades.com/

kbbagshaw

Check out Vista Shade. A 24" section goes into the groove on the bottom of the awning and stays there. An 8' section zips onto it to reach the ground. There is an end section that can be used on either end. I have both and are easy to install, set up and take down.

http://www.shadepro.net/product/Shade_Drops/rv_awning_electric_awning_shade_drop.html

vistasideelectric01_thumb.jpg
Gaffer, how do you install the top portion? We are trying to figure out how to get around the end of the electric awning arms.

NYSUPstater

Gaffer, how do you install the top portion? We are trying to figure out how to get around the end of the electric awning arms.

You have to extend the awning (unroll) it just a smidge farther to gain access to the end of roller tube in order to slide the shade in. At least that's what we did. May look odd having just the top portion of the shade attached to awning tube, but it's nice knowing we don't have to fuss sliding whole thing in at a CG. We have a 8' and 9' drop for the 2 awning's, but when attached, they end up being the same length/distance from the ground.

kbbagshaw

You have to extend the awning (unroll) it just a smidge farther to gain access to the end of roller tube in order to slide the shade in. At least that's what we did. May look odd having just the top portion of the shade attached to awning tube, but it's nice knowing we don't have to fuss sliding whole thing in at a CG. We have a 8' and 9' drop for the 2 awning's, but when attached, they end up being the same length/distance from the ground.

Thanks!

kbbagshaw

Shade Pro Vista Shade

Put it in today. Definitely a two man job but looks good. I had to remove the oversize end cap on the awning arm to feed in the material.

Attachments

• Oversized End Cap.jpg
    Oversized End Cap.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 63
  • End Cap Removed.jpg
    End Cap Removed.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Vista Shade Installed.jpg
    Vista Shade Installed.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 68