Sundance 3000MK

gibbs764

we brought her home a week ago. Today we were getting ready for a trip and the battery is dead (so we think) Is there a switch for the battery to turn on and off so we can operate the jacks? How do you put a battery charger on the battery

danemayer

Hi gibbs764,

Many but not all models do have a battery cutoff switch near the battery. It's often a large knob with an indicator that points either to ON or OFF. If you don't see one in the battery compartment, you probably don't have one. If you left a light on inside the trailer, it could easily run down the battery in a week. Even if you didn't, there are parasitic drains for alarms and radio front panels that will also drain the battery, although it'll take a bit longer. If you have a cutoff switch, use it. If you don't, think about having one installed. Without it, you'll have to disconnect the battery cable every time you store the unit.

If you have a battery charger handy, they typically have a red alligator clip and a black clip. The red goes on the positive terminal of the battery and the black goes on the negative. Batteries typically have a + next to one terminal post to indicate positive, and a - next to the other to indicate negative. Instead of symbols, they might have the words PLUS + and MINUS -. It's very likely that the battery has a red wire connected to the + terminal and a black wire connected to the - terminal. BUT don't rely on that! Check for the + and - symbol stamped on the battery. You don't have to remove the existing wires to charge the battery.

Make sure you're careful not to touch the charger clips to anything other than the correct posts on the battery.

Having said all that, the question that arises is that if you have 110V to run the battery charger, you ought to be able to plug the RV in and let the built-in power converter charge the battery. Or perhaps you're planning on removing the battery and taking it home to charge.

If you do remove the battery, make sure you know which cable(s) go to which posts so you reinstall it correctly.

You might be able to charge the battery a little by hooking up the tow cable so it gets charged from your truck. That might let you operate the jacks. BUT don't tow with a dead or nearly dead battery. The emergency braking system relies on having a charged battery.

Kbvols

I have a Greystone similar to sundance no battery cut off. I have backed truck close plugged in lights and set jacks to where I needed in order to hitch up...truck will charge battery when traveling. Or plug into electric to charge... Same as Dan indicated.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Typically, the battery supplied from dealers are never fully charged. I can take a few days for the power converter to fully charge the battery.
If you were parked and not plugged into 110 volts, there are a few things that can drain the battery as well.

ncc1701e

we brought her home a week ago. Today we were getting ready for a trip and the battery is dead (so we think) Is there a switch for the battery to turn on and off so we can operate the jacks? How do you put a battery charger on the battery

No battery switch, but easy to do and I'd recommend it. Battery Disconnect Switch.JPG I've done this on both of our two Sundance units.