Sundance XLT 285TS - Grey Tank Overflow?

larryect

Hi All,

I took my new 2014 285TS out for a shake down cruise. While trying things out for the weekend, I ended up overfilling the grey tank. As expected it backed up into the shower pan. No big deal, just go out and drain it. Well, by the time I got dressed, the water had dissappeared from the shower pan. I went outside and found the water leaking from underneath the trailer from the covered tank area.

When I came back to town, I dropped the trailer off at the dealer to have it checked out along with a few other issues. One of which is the floor from the middle to the kitchen side, slopes towards the kitchen side when the coach and fridge is level.

Well, the dealer is now telling me the grey tank is designed to vent overflow as it did. Does that sound right to you?

He also said nothing was found wrong with the floor or frame. Any comments?

Thx

danemayer

I don't think Gray tanks have any overflow drains/valves. The tank might expand a little to accept the shower pan water, but if it's leaking from the underbelly, the connection between the shower drain and gray tank may not be tight.

How are you determining that the floor/coach/fridge are level or not level?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is no overflow vent on gray water tanks. The only vent is an air vent to the roof. If it did vent excess waste, there would be a lot of smelly campgrounds. Yes, gray water can smell as bad as the toilet waste.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The slope may be a result of the overfilling of the tank, causing the tank to bulge upwards underneath the flooring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larryect

Sorry for any confusion. The 2 issues are not related. The slope of the floor does not change with the filling of the grey tank.

I level the coach when setting up using a small bubble level. Primarily I try to check the bottom of the freezer compartment. The other side of the trailer (with dinette slide) "feels" level. The kitchen doesn't.

The grey tank having an overflow doesn't make much sense to me. I have owned multiple trailers and none leaked when backed up into the shower. But, what can I do if the dealer is saying it is "Normal" and designed that way?

danemayer

The grey tank having an overflow doesn't make much sense to me. I have owned multiple trailers and none leaked when backed up into the shower. But, what can I do if the dealer is saying it is "Normal" and designed that way?

You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If they agree it's abnormal, you can ask them to help with the dealer or point you to another service facility.