Superglide hitch upkeep?

tomsws6

Hi, I have the superglide 4400(20k) and the manual says 3 different things depending on when your hitch was produced on maintaining your hitch as to prevent gauling of the rails.. Anyone know how to find out when it was manufactured? I didnt buy it new as I got it second hand

tomsws6

My understanding is it is due to the different rails?

prior to 08 - quality grade grease
april 08 - graphite bases spray lube called slip plate
nov 09 - wd-40 or alike

GOTTOYS

The rails are the same. Mine was a newer model and had a thick Delrin (plastic of a sort) spacer under the sliding part. It is easy to spot in that it is about 1/4" thick spacer that slides on the rails. If you have this type all you need to do is keep it lubricated with WD-40. I am sure if you call Pull-Rite with your serial number they will be happy to tell you which product to use...Don

tomsws6

The rails are the same. Mine was a newer model and had a thick Delrin (plastic of a sort) spacer under the sliding part. It is easy to spot in that it is about 1/4" thick spacer that slides on the rails. If you have this type all you need to do is keep it lubricated with WD-40. I am sure if you call Pull-Rite with your serial number they will be happy to tell you which product to use...Don

I think mine went through a shop shop of some sort cause I cant find a serial number any were!

Is this the spacer your referring to? The second pic is what the rails looked like after use with wd-40.. is that normal? Sorry the hitch is so dirty , we just got back yesterday and havent had a chance to clean up yet.

Attachments

• NCM_1032.JPG
    NCM_1032.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 63
  • NCM_1033.JPG
    NCM_1033.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 59
Those plastic discs cant be bought at your local RV store for about $10. Well worth the money to never have to grease again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

I think mine went through a shop shop of some sort cause I cant find a serial number any were!

Is this the spacer your referring to? The second pic is what the rails looked like after use with wd-40.. is that normal? Sorry the hitch is so dirty , we just got back yesterday and havent had a chance to clean up yet.
Looks like the Delrin spacer to me. I lubed mine on the top of the rails and along the inside edges of the rails with WD-40. A couple times a year I removed the head and cleaned and put a little light grease on the mechanism underneath as well as the pivot points on the sides. It was a good hitch but a little hard to get it to latch with my air-ride pinbox. Pretty fussy about getting the height just right. I also almost always had to back up a little to take the pressure off when unhooking. I replaced it with a B&W as I now have a long box truck. The B&W is amazing in how easy it is to use...Don

porthole

Retired
I would call PullRite, they are very helpful.

If you have the "non grease" version, there is no reason to gunk up your truck, hitch and clothes with grease. My SuperGlide used the graphite spray which was fine, as it went on wet and dried in seconds.

Miltp920

I was reading my PullRite 3300 Manual tonight 16K hitch. This is an older model, I think 2005ish. Manual says light grease on rails-tubes, WD40 on flat part of hitch, WD40 on king pin latch. So, I read in a few places, that SLIP PLATE dry graphite was an alternative for the rails-tubes. Grease sure works good, but it is a mess. Has anyone quit using grease and had good luck with slip plate graphite lubricant? Should I just stick with grease on this older Pullrite?

donr827

I was reading my PullRite 3300 Manual tonight 16K hitch. This is an older model, I think 2005ish. Manual says light grease on rails-tubes, WD40 on flat part of hitch, WD40 on king pin latch. So, I read in a few places, that SLIP PLATE dry graphite was an alternative for the rails-tubes. Grease sure works good, but it is a mess. Has anyone quit using grease and had good luck with slip plate graphite lubricant? Should I just stick with grease on this older Pullrite?

I decided to stick with the white lithium grease. Before every trip I took the old grease off with mineral spirits. Applied new grease, spray can, on the top of the rails and the inside of the rails.
Don

porthole

Retired

If it were mine, I would ask PullRite, having your model handy.
PullRite has had several "lube" variations over the years, from messy grease to SlipPlate to nothing.
My SupGlide was the SlipPlate version. I liked it, SlipPlate is goes on wet and then dries lube. I had a case of it when I had the hitch and still use it around the house.
You may even be able upgrade your rails to the non lube version.