Superglide hitches are heavy

porthole

Retired
I found solid draw bars but they only go up to 24". Have to get the tape and and see if that is long enough. Then whatever I use for a hoist has to be able to boom out far enough to reach the center of the rear axle.

The trailer saver hitch need to be lifted or lowered directly over the mount

RollingHome

Duane, it stopped raining, I'l try to get you pics later. Actually there's more... I have the new body style Cheby DRW 3500HD. GM installed a 2 1/2" hitch receiver box. All I did was purchase a long 2" hitch receiver box (which is supposed to get welded to a chassis) except I didn't. Instead I drilled a 1/2" hole in this long receiver for a 1/2" pin. I slid it into the GM 2 1/2" receiver box and this converted the Cheby receiver down to 2". It also moved it about 16" behind the bumper. Doing this may enable your 24" 2" x 2" square stock to be long enough. It is still strong enough to lift my 140 pound Honda 3000watt genny out and to the ground without flexing. Simply put, it works for me and it saves my back.

RollingHome

Duane got some pics for you. By the way, my memory is not so good. The 2 x 2 solid bar ain't solid... it's square tubing as in hollow. The 1/2" pins grew... they are now 5/8"... At home I use a small tractor to lift heavy "stuff" out of my truck the 4' bucket fits in the back just right, on the road I use the hoist, here are the pics.Hoist Pad Parts.JPGTail Gate Up wit Pad.JPGTail Gate Down with Pad.JPG2 Super Glide 18K.JPG

porthole

Retired
I kinda figured on the 2" bar, it was the 2.5 that had me guessing. Looks good.
I'll be doing he measuring tomorrow to see if I am close enough to the axle to use it this way.

GOTTOYS

I took mine out today for the first time in a year. I took off my tailgate and hooked it up to a small cherry picker type engine hoist I got from Harbor Freight. It worked pretty good But I need to add about a foot to the boom for a longer reach. Shouldn't affect the balance on the hoist as the hitch isn't that heavy. I can always stand on the other end...Don

RollingHome

Duane, It turns out that 2" receiver boxes that are sold to be welded onto chassis slide right in the 2 1/2" receivers the new 1 ton trucks are coming with. This is a handy thing to know.