Supply Line for Dometic Ice Maker

jmurkin

We have a 2010 Landmark with the Dometic 1350 w/ ice maker. I am about to replace the ice maker supple line for the 3rd time. The plastic line located in the flexible channel in the bottom of the slide develops micro leaks that spray water. Anyone found a supply line that won't deteriorate so quick?

Thanks,
Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Supple Line for Dometic Ice Maker

I have replaced my supply line once for the reason that you mentioned.
You could get a residential ice maker supply line that has a metallic braided sheathing.
I don't know if it would last any longer because it is still going to be flexing each time the slide is moving.
I find it is pretty easy to just cut out the bad section and splice in a new piece of water line.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Jim,

Maybe a dumb question, but are you evacuating the water from the supply line and solenoid when you winterize?

wdk450

I had the same problem, but went another route. I bought a tabletop icemaker that many RVers use through Walmart.com for about $150. It will make a small amount of ice every 12 minutes until it is full of ice or runs low on water. I pulled the ice storage bin out of my freezer and now have more frozen food storage space. On hot travel days, I have even stopped an hour before arrival, gone into the trailer, turned on the inverter, and had ice ready when I arrived for the setup jobs that get me hot and sweaty.
Here is a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-Portable-Countertop-Ice-Maker/15162477

jmurkin

Dave - I usually replace it after I have spliced it at least twice. I might try the braided line. Hadn't thought about that.
Thanks,
Jim

jmurkin

Dan - Good question, but we are full-timers and I never have to winterize (I hope).

Jim

danemayer

Dan - Good question, but we are full-timers and I never have to winterize (I hope).

Jim

The icemaker supply line is unprotected as it goes into the slide and will freeze before anything else. The solenoid(s) on the back of the refrigerator is protected with heat tape, but if you have a power outage for more than a few hours in sub-freezing weather, you could end up with a cracked solenoid.

At our North Texas spring rally in Santo this year, temps dropped down to about 29 (F) overnight. I blew the water out of the supply line and solenoids that afternoon to avoid damage.

57chevyconvt

Replaced my RM1350IM water line several years back due to frequent leaks in the original poly line, very small holes in tubing. Replaced with a residential reinforce ice maker line, purchased from Lowe's. Can also be purchased from Home Depot. Use the existing poly line to pull the new line in place from source to refrigerator back side water connection.

Birchwood

Just found my supply line spraying water also.Lucky it was spraying out the fridge vent and I think it may of been leaking for sometime because there is an excessive amount of calcium on the outside vent cover.Getting ready purchase a new line so maybe check out the reinforced line.Good timing for this post.

wdk450

As a follow up to my previous post about buying a free standing icemaker, and turning off the icemaker water supply line, I have now had the bright idea that I can probably cut off the unused icemaker supply water line, and route the end into the water tank fill hose behind the UDC. Then I can fill the water storage tank with just a valve turn on.

Birchwood

Just found my supply line spraying water also.Lucky it was spraying out the fridge vent and I think it may of been leaking for sometime because there is an excessive amount of calcium on the outside vent cover.Getting ready purchase a new line so maybe check out the reinforced line.Good timing for this post.

As a follow up to this issue with water supply lines I visited a plumbing shop and apparently there are law suits associated with the use this tubing in the residential market.

4ever

With our previous Landmark had 3 issues with that supply lione leaking. Every time it would put water into the under belly. Finaly disconnected it. With our new rig we have residential refrig with the same style tube. Not taking any chances this time around. When we picked up the new rig the first thing I did was shut that line off.

Ted

danemayer

Let me repeat: if your refrigerator is in a slide, the icemaker supply line will freeze as soon at outside temps drop below 32F. The icemaker supply line is not going to survive a freeze unless all the water has been evacuated from the line ahead of time. Don't depend on weather forecasts: the temps where you have your trailer may be different from the official weather locations.

Now's a good time to evacuate the water from that line and turn the cutoff valve OFF.

wdk450

I was looking through my storage container of parts and stuff, and found a heavier, braided icemaker line (12 foot?) that I had bought with the intention of replacing the original one. Well, this job would involve re-drilling some pass through holes for the larger diameter line, so I put it off. I then bought the fast, tabletop icemaker. So I have a braided line, free for the asking, to any HOG member out there. I would appreciate to be compensated for the shipping charges.
PM me please, if you are interested.

slborba

Let me repeat: if your refrigerator is in a slide, the icemaker supply line will freeze as soon at outside temps drop below 32F. The icemaker supply line is not going to survive a freeze unless all the water has been evacuated from the line ahead of time. Don't depend on weather forecasts: the temps where you have your trailer may be different from the official weather locations.

Now's a good time to evacuate the water from that line and turn the cutoff valve OFF.

Dan: Another quick question. I need to turn OFF my icemaker line the valve, but I don't know where to find it. I have a 2007 Monticello. Do you know where I can find the cutoff valve?

Thanks,
Steve

danemayer

Dan: Another quick question. I need to turn OFF my icemaker line the valve, but I don't know where to find it. I have a 2007 Monticello. Do you know where I can find the cutoff valve?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

I don't know the 2007 Monticello layout, but on many Landmarks, the valve is behind the UDC, attached to the cold water line just after the point where the water pump output and the city water inlet are teed together. If you take down the basement wall by the UDC, you'll probably be able to spot the 1/4" ice maker feed line and will find the valve. There's a picture on page 11 of the Winterizing Guide.

If your frig isn't in a slideout, you might find the cutoff under the counters somewhere, maybe in a hard to see spot deep inside a dark cabinet.:p Seriously, wherever it's located, you'll probably need a flashlight to find the cutoff. Look for the feed line first.

Birchwood

Yes last year our water supply line developed a leak at the outside fridge vent and luckily sprayed away from the fridge to the outside.Visited a plumbing supply shop and they informed me ************************ many homes have had water damage from leakage of this tubing.
They supplied me with two 6 foot sections of braided tubing that is now used for residential fridge water supply lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

They supplied me with two 6 foot sections of braided tubing that is now used for residential fridge water supply lines.
Most of the failures reported on this forum have been as a result of exposure to sub-freezing temperatures, not tubing defects. If you leave water in your braided tubing when temps drop, please let us know if it survives.

slborba

Thanks Dan. I just found it and fixed it ..... now I have other problems with the water - this is beyond annoying.

Steve