Surge Protection

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bret, where did you install your surge protector? I have been thinking about getting one for our NT 21 FBS.

In the bathroom next to the sink cabinet (right side) / floor level. Take the panel off (4 screws) and you will see the power cord coming down from the storage area and then it goes forward towards the breaker box. I just pulled some of it down out of the storage box and cut it at a point where it would end up sitting a little left of the opening (far enough so it sits between plastic pipe and front of cabinet. I will try to get over to where we sore it and take a couple of pics and post tomorrow. It is really easy, just gotta pay attention to the installation instructions.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can I ask, as I am curious, why did you rap it with the foam? Also is it in the bathroom?

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
First picture kind of says bathroom, (LOL) and it doesn't look to be fastened down, so I think the foam is a cushion.

yep!
The foam just snugs it up between the back of the cabinet and the plastic pipe. Not that vibration should be a factor, but the foam also eliminates that.

SilverRhino

Just wondering.......... Does this unit give off any heat at all?? I guess I would be concerned about mounting an electrical device by wrapping 3 sides of it in foam......Could this be a possible fire hazard??

I am just posing the question as I amd not familiar with the unit and am considering installing one in the BC. Figured someone out there that has more knowledge than I do will have the answer.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Just wondering.......... Does this unit give off any heat at all?? I guess I would be concerned about mounting an electrical device by wrapping 3 sides of it in foam......Could this be a possible fire hazard??

I am just posing the question as I amd not familiar with the unit and am considering installing one in the BC. Figured someone out there that has more knowledge than I do will have the answer.
That is a good question Randy... I have touched it a few time and not noticed any heat being generated but that might be a different story when its hotter outside and the trailer is pulling more amperage. The contents of the unit is basically a couple of circuit boards and a set of contacts, so I don't think it is prone to developing any heat. I can easily lift the box and remove the foam and secure with a couple of screws to the floor. I am welcome to any thoughts out there.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I installed mine I used the mounting holes to screw it down to some wood. Can you not do that? Not really adverted in you coach so I don't know if you can or not.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
On the Progressive HW50c, is there any advantage of using the preset 15 second delay vs. the 2 minute 16 second delay? The portable I had used the 2 minute 16 second delay preset from the factory. I cant really see why you would want to delay it past the 15 second.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Mike, The a/c has a built in delay, guess i should have mentioned that. Other than that is there an advantage of one over the other? I cant thonk of any but i dont want to miss anything.

porthole

Retired
Compressor issues in the AC would be the only reason I could think of. As mentioned, most of the rooftop AC's have a delay built in, but maybe not every brand/model (2 minute delay)
The 15 second delay may be for brown out issues.