surge protectors

Delaine and Lindy

We have use our in most of the lower 48 and haven't had a problem. We do have the lock and use it to keep honest people honest. I don't lock our storage areas or any out side storage. Just lock the front door, but I still prefer the portable to the hard wire type. GBY.....

cmart

I bought the portable 30 amp surge protector when they first came out in camping world back when I had my second 5iver. Now I have also have a 50 amp portable for my current 3055. I've never had any electrical problems due to park power. And by the way FRUMBAWA you need to camp in better neighborhoods, lol. But they do make locks, and I probably need to get one now since I made that comment.

frumbawa

Good one CMART. Actually, I'm probably more trusting of those around me when in the campground than I would be any where else. I was curious because as you look around the CG, you'll see everything large and small left out for all to see but the one thing secured tighter than Fort Knox is the surge box or autoformer chained to the power pole.

jpmorgan37

Bill;

A lot will depend on your Generator. I don't remember what you have. If it is like a lot of them, not ic regulated, I would recommend having it surge protected. Many will vary quite a bit in output voltage when a new load (microwave, A/C) kicks in. A good surge protector will give you that protection and also set up a delay of approximately 2 minutes before it will restore power. Inverters are another story. Some are modified sine wave and some are full sine wave. I won't run my computer on a modified sine wave inverter. They don't like it. Some higher quality stereo equipment, the same thing. My cheap stuff, no problem. I have a little Honda 2000 that serves me well with no surge protector, but it doesn't run the A/C or Heat Pump either. Just my 2 cents.

John

ChopperBill

Thanks John! I have a Honda 2000 and a Kipor KG3500. They both work well. Got the Kipor because it is electric start and Renee can start it and not disturb me from my recliner. ;) Not so sure how well she will take it if I throw another 2-300 bucks at the Bighorn. :eek:

cmart

You know now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I need to try better neighborhoods to camp in, all the electrical pedistals in the corps and state parks I camp in have a lid/cover and a place to insert a lock when they are closed with the cord/surge protector hanging down. With a lock on the pedistal ain't nobody getting anything hanging down without a shocking experience.

ct0218

I have a Hughes Autoformer that does suppress some surge though not as much as a straight suppressor would. I mounted mine in the area accessed through the basement (under the toilet and shower). I bought both male and female 50A fittings that matched the Autoformer, cut the power cord there between the outside plug and the breaker panel. The Autoformer has matching m/f connectors which are just like the surge suppressors have. This keeps it out of the weather and makes it theft proof. This would work with both, and if you want to remove either a suppressor or autoformer you just disconnect it and plug your power line back together and you're in business.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I also bought my wonderful Mor/ryde pin cushion at tweetys.com. Don't forget to order the correct capture plate that will be unique to your particular hitch, like mine is a pullrite.

jammaw08

What to buy?

We want to get a surge protector but I have a question. At home and, so far, everywhere we have camped we use 30 amps. If we purchase a 50 amp surge protector can we still use it with 30 amp? We haven't been able to find anything in the description relating to this.

jpmorgan37

Russ,

This is directly from the Surge Guard website:

Q. Can 50 Amp models be operated on a 120V/30 Amp, 120V/20 Amp, or 120V/15 Amp power source?
A. Operation of these models (using a standard adapter) on a 120V/30A, 120V/20A, or 120V/15A power source is not recommended by the manufacturer. However, the unit will still function properly. If used correctly, this will not void warranty. Keep power use to a minimum and return to a 50 Amp power source as soon as possible.

Surge Guard Questions

John

svd

I bought the portable 50 amp from surge guard after reading that answer, but haven't figured out how I can use it on a 30 amp service.

linuxkidd

You'll need a 50amp to 30amp service adapter.. Something like this . There are several different styles of the adapters available from many different sources. Even Wal-mart carries some.

Hope this helps!
LK

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I had one hardwired into our new 3400RE when we bought it. The dealer installed it inline for the generator too, so everything is covered. It is wired between the service wiring and all the different circuits,and the wires from the rear of the coach are pretty heavy duty and shouldn't be damaged by surges. I have a 30 amp that I connected between the CG receptical and the shorecord which did trip one time but after resetting it I tested it every time I hooked up to make sure it was in good working order. When the technician installed the device in our new BH he located it behind the vent louvers in the rear wall in the basement and I can look in there and see if all is well or not.

jammaw08

Dog bone

LK, is this the same as a dog bone? We already have one we use. Do we need another one just for the surge protector or is the one enough? Thanks for you help.
B.

linuxkidd

jammaw08: I'm not familiar with the term Dog Bone, but basically it comes down to this..

If you're coach has 50amp service, buy a 50amp surge protector. If you need to connect to 30amp service at a camp ground, as long as you have one 50amp to 30amp service adapter that you would normally use for such a connection, you're fine.

You'll end up plugging the adapter into the Campground's 30 Amp service, then the surge protector into the adapter, and finally the RV's power cord into the surge protector.

Hope this helps!
LK