suspension upgrades ???????

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
This is what I was looking for and I thank you all. I am in the same boat as wdk450. I bought my trailer from stock at my dealer. It was a lot of money but it was the one we fell in love with and suited our needs. Now I am finding out about all these safety concerns and the money that I am going to have to spend and I don't even have my trailer yet, it is still at the dealers till spring. I am going to get on him about the frame upgrade ( X member) and get him to order my new pin for starters. Hope I can get all this stuff up here in Ontario.

Thanks again

Rick

porthole

Retired
You don't have to do all this stuff. It is just what some of us choose to do. There are plenty of trailers out there without any of these upgrades, and their owners are just as happy.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have a 07 bought in Sept 06 and have not had any problems. We were at the Rally in June and Lippert checked the springs and looked at it said everything was fine. We did have to buy new tires this last Sept all most 3 years to the day we got it. We love our 3055RL Kathy:):)

rvn4fun

Goodyear tire issue

There is a long post on the Escappees forum you might want to read before going to Goodyear tires. Just my 2 cents

lwmcguir

The President of the Old Doe Hunters Association, Inc. informed me that he was considering a new 5th wheel to begin his westerly expedition upon retirement. As Treasurer and Chair of the Entertainment & Firewood Committee, I informed him that we had exactly $6.83 in the ODHA treasury. Hizzoner scratched the graying stubble on his chin and looked thoughtful for a moment, then offered his one word solution:
“Financin’.”
Mind you, I’m not one to suggest a man entering his seventh decade leverage himself into a twenty year RV loan, but I could see he had his mind made up, his decision rendered final by the popping open of a Bud Light (this is not a shameless product plug, those are coming later).
So I set about offering my vast array of knowledge to ensure that Hizzoner didn’t wind up DIW (that’s Dead in the Water for those of you outside Navy circles) on Interstate 75 halfway between the great white north and the land of sunshine. I informed him first that he would need to upgrade his tow vehicle. The ½ ton pickup will generally not work well with fivers worthy of a full-timer. Though some of the smaller varieties have pin weights low enough to work in the standard duty truck.
Once I had the President convinced he needed to buy a new truck with heated seats and XM Radio so he could listen to Dr. Phil, he had to determine whether he preferred the long or short box. Most of us like the short because it’s easier to park and it fits in my garage (but that’s just me). Once upon a time, if you wanted a fiver, you were stuck with an 8 foot bed. Then someone came out with the slider hitch. Then someone got really smart and started designing 5th wheel trailers so that they wouldn’t need the 8 foot bed or the slider. Hizzoner was pleased to learn he could have a “shorty,” making him a less likely target for shopping carts during his trips to Sam’s Club for the free lunch in aisles 3, 7, and 12.
Now that we’d decided he wouldn’t need a slider hitch, giving him one less mechanical device to fiddle with and eventually break, and the next RV show wasn’t for another three months, we settled in to hitch research. Now I could be of true assistance.
smart-air1-300x200.gif

“Air Ride,” I advised him (Old Doe Hunters never communicate in complete sentences).
“What fer?” He inquired.
“Your back. The dishes. The trailer frame.” It’s true. While the 5th wheel offers a stable towing experience, it’s notorious for shuffling vertebrate and re-distributing the contents of your fiver. Air-ride 5th wheel hitches are the solution. They come in several forms.
The pin box variety is the most common. Dealers like them because they often come standard from the trailer manufacturer and require no installation. They work well for smaller 5th wheels and short trips, but they’re limited by space. They generally employ one small air bag and a shock absorber.
TS3_2-300x240.jpg
If you’re looking for true air-ride, get it built into the hitch, not the pin box. TrailerSaver makes the top air-ride hitches in the RV industry. The TS3 22k air-ride hitch (at left) is perfect for the full-timer. It set the standard when introduced ten years ago. The pivot point of the “swing arm” on the TS3 is level with the heavy duty head, giving it the ability to absorb almost all of the up/down and fore/aft motion of the 5th wheel. The TS3 is truly the ultimate in comfort for the 5th wheeler.
The only drawback of the TS3 is the weight. It’s not made for easy removal by one person. That’s why Hensley Mfg. came out with the BD3 two years ago.
BD3-hitch-cutout-300x300.jpg
The BD3 (below at right) also employs two air bags and two shock absorbers to absorb most of the road shock that would otherwise be transmitted into your truck and trailer. But the BD3 is also designed to come apart in two sections, making it easy to remove and install. Perfect for anyone who wished to regain his or her truck bed after the trip is through.
I know darn well that the President of the ODHA will never removed a hitch from his truck bed once it’s in there. He’ll simply stack the firewood around it. So we settled on the TS3 with the Smart Air option, which means that the President will never have to worry about inflating his air bags, because Smart Air does it for him. Now he’ll have more time to sip his “Senior Coffee” at McDonald’s and read the complimentary newspaper.
I can hardly wait to take him 5th Wheel shopping at the next RV show. I should call the dealers and give them fair warning.
For more information on Hensley’s line of Air-ride 5th wheel hitches, call 1-800-410-6580 or visit us online on www.TrailerSaver.com.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Thanks for the info lwmcquir, I have an awesome Pullrite 18K super glide and a Mor/Ryde Hitch pin cushion, but I need a double lumbar back fusion, and need the smoothest ride I can find. I am not sure that because I have a Ford F-250 Super Duty with camping suspension, I will get a smoother ride. I may have to soften the truck spring leafs first. Also the cost sounds mighty high. Will wait to hear more about this awesome hitch. How does it hold up in inclement weather, as 5th airborne and Tri glide appear to be protected from the elements?

caissiel

I have my F250 setup with one extra long ply between the main ply and the next ply and everything else is stock and the ride is great. Had stock springs on my GM2500 and it was like riding a caddy with the trailer hooked on. I once left a can of WD40 on the rear bumper and drove 3 miles and when I stoped it was still there, that was unloaded. My F250 is a bit rough when empty but mostly on the front, I do have a long wheelbase. The GM was a Standard Box length. The springs on the rear have to be made so as the longer plies hold the load in series. As the truck is loaded the plies have to take the load on the longer plies first and then on down to the shorter ones. The spring shop did that to mine when they set them up.

Larryheadhunter

Hi Barbara and Laurent, I may have left off that we bought the 2008 F-250 super duty with every extra suspension pkg available to man. That was my first mistake. What is humorous is that my truck has 4 leaf springs and my rig which weighs twice as much has 3 Lippert leaf springs that have broken once already. I am already thinking to go to Deaver mfg, a 100 yr old company that adjusts suspensions to try to get a better, smoother ride. Hunched over after a week trip is not my idea of fun. I think Delaine and Lindy as well as lwmcquir have the right idea. The only problem is it sounds like a very costly adjustment and don't know if I have the funds available.

Larryheadhunter

Sorry Duane, I spent 30 yrs getting jobs for medical device engineers and have spoken to the top orthopedists and the top engineers in the field. Because I have to take Plavix, a blood thinner for a year because I got drug eluting stents, I can't have the fusion for a while. Hopefully, there will be some new technology out there, that i can trust by that time. Until then, I need a smooth ride if we are going to enjoy the RV traveling experience. Odds of successful fusions are about 30-50% now, so if I can deal with the pain, there is some hope for a more less invasive method of fixing my lumbar region asap. As of today, anyone that steps into a clinical trial in the US is asking for trouble, and that ain't my middle name. Clinical trials are exactly that, trial and error. I have placed these type people my whole career, including technical and managerial top notch folk for the Da Vinci robotics, pig heart valves, angioplasty and stents, implantable defibrillators, implantable back surgery using radio frequency ablation, the lap band and much, much more. New technology is being invented every day, but right now I have a year to buy, and hope the FDA will approve a method for fixing my back at that time. Until then, I must find a smooth, suitable ride, with the most minimal chucking and jiving that's out there. Unfortunately that costs lots of money that isn't in my budget at the present. Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.